PDA

View Full Version : Shaping one's bottom

Norm Zax
08-30-2010, 9:51 AM
My first large HF will be made from a local eucalytus branch, still green, around 9" tall. Its about half empty by now but I cant really make my mind regarding the shape of the bottom half. The overall shape is more or less what Im aiming for but how about the lowest portion? Or perhaps in other words, how would you impart some grace to this massive form?
Here's the pic, still attached to the faceplate.
Happy to hear what comes to mind,
Norm
[Title was a catcher, wasnt it?]

Harvey Schneider
08-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Norm,
Let me start out by saying that I don't mean for this to sound critical. You asked so I am expressing my personal sense of design.
I expect that you are going to get a lot of different opinions on this one.
My personal taste suggests lowering the shoulder if possible and changing the bottom so that it is a continuously changing curve radius that almost becomes a straight truncated conical shape in the bottom 1/4 of the form. The form is a little tall for my taste, but I think with the right amount of lift you could make it look really elegant.
It will be interesting to see how you finish this form.
Harvey in Southbury, CT

Scott Hackler
08-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Norm,
That is a great start to HF's! For a tall vessel, I would like to see a more radical taper towards the bottom. Probably at least 1/3 to 1/2 the current diameter. This dramatic taper would accentuate the height of the piece, IMO.

bob svoboda
08-30-2010, 12:34 PM
I believe lowering the shoulder is a good idea. I also think it would be good to aim for a bottom slightly smaller than the opening. Whatever you decide, I will be interested in seeing how it turns out. Sure is a nice looking piece of wood!

Don Orr
08-30-2010, 1:48 PM
My bottom already has a nice shape:eek::D (according to my wife). Sorry I couldn't resist. C'mon, somebody had to say it. Mods-remove as needed.

I also agree with the advice already given. Looking forward to the finished piece.

David E Keller
08-30-2010, 6:57 PM
Norm,
That is a great start to HF's! For a tall vessel, I would like to see a more radical taper towards the bottom. Probably at least 1/3 to 1/2 the current diameter. This dramatic taper would accentuate the height of the piece, IMO.

My thoughts exactly. I don't mind the high shoulder, but then I like some more contemporary forms. I would consider a minimum foot diameter of about 1/3 of the width of the shoulder... then modify based on your preferences.

patrick michael stein
08-30-2010, 7:25 PM
hi norm,
good start one question how thin are the walls on the part that you have hollowed.is there enough left for you to lower the shoulder? if so thats good start, if you taper from the shoulder down to the base about the size of the opening it should look pretty good.

patrick.

Don Alexander
08-30-2010, 8:47 PM
ok i'll be the differing opinion :D

i like the shape pretty much just like it is that really narrow bottom wide top thing is a bit overdone IMHO not that its a bad form either just that it seems like everyone is doing that lately and i like to be different :)

John Hart
08-30-2010, 9:22 PM
Here's sorta what I was thinking

Sorry for the hack job. Dint have much time :o

Bernie Weishapl
08-30-2010, 9:43 PM
You said it was half empty so that eliminates probably fooling with the tip. I agree with John on his thinking with a small bottom.