PDA

View Full Version : Ellsworth Gauge

Chris Lee
12-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Hey Evevrybody,
Have a $100 Woodcraft gift certificate coming my way and was thinking about picking up an Ellsworth Gauge. Anybody here use one? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

Steve Plunkett
12-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Chris,
I have two of them. One is HSS and one the Crown PM. I use them for just about everything, from hollowing to shear cutting. You might want to consider getting the sharpening jig with it because they can be a little tricky to sharpen free-hand.

Rick Prevett
12-13-2004, 11:24 AM
I have one with a brown handle (Crown?) and use it as much as Steve does, that is for almost every cut in the bowl making process.

The jig was a no brainer for me. That much for a tool, I want to keep the right grind on it.

rick

Kent Cori
12-13-2004, 6:36 PM
I'm with these guys. It is a great tool and well worth the money. However, you definitely want the sharpening jig too.

Jim Becker
12-13-2004, 7:43 PM
I have three of them...the original one I bought from David when I took his training weekend. The second is a reground Sorby bowl gouge. The third is the Crown PM version. I use this gouge as my primary tool and having three sharp and ready is very convenient, especially when working with spalted material that is hard on the edges.

Edward Orecchio
01-03-2005, 2:03 PM
I've got three-5/8,3/8,&1/4-the work well and I used them better after spending time with Dave Ellsworth. His video about using it is well worth the money and his video's are very well done. I learned most of the tricks about the gouge before I got to his workshop. His original jig was made of wood and I would suggest buying it but you can make other jigs for the other size gouges by using the same angles. Ellsworth also supplies directions on how to make the support for the jig.

Tom Mullane
01-03-2005, 3:09 PM
I have to agree with everything said above... my first gouge was a 1/2" standard gouge... when I took my course with Bill Grumbine, the first thing he did was teach me to reshape it to the Ellsworth style... since then I have all my bowl gouges shaped like that...
If you get Bill's DVD, he will show you some real interesting cuts he makes using that style of gouge that will really make your finish sanding a pleasure and less time consuming...

Chris Lee
01-03-2005, 3:24 PM
Thanks everybody,

I purchased the Crown PM ellsworth gouge this weekend. Sorry have not had a chance to take any pics yet. I had $100 in Woodcraft gift certificates and a $10 off coupon so I could not pass it up. Used it to make a quick bowl just to get a feel for it and I love it. I will try and get a pick up.

Thanks Again,

Chris

PS: I also recently purchased Bill Grumbine's video and am in the process of setting up a time for a lesson. I can't wait.