PDA

View Full Version : Inked Ash

Mark Cothren
08-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Yet another Ash NE, but at least I did something different with this one...:rolleyes: It took about 4 rounds of India ink to get it solid black. Then I did the John Hart special on it and lacquered it up a little.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/woodturning/InkedAsh01.jpg

David DeCristoforo
08-30-2010, 12:37 AM
That is wicked! Love it!!!

brian watts
08-30-2010, 4:34 AM
very nice..like the ink on this one.

Norm Zax
08-30-2010, 4:43 AM
Sinister and cooool. Well done.

William Hutchinson
08-30-2010, 6:08 AM
Very nice, the turning and ink finish combined for a striking piece.

John Keeton
08-30-2010, 6:59 AM
That is wicked!

Sinister and cooool.Now, there are a couple of observations that are going to be difficult to explain to the congregation next Sunday, Mark!!!!:eek:;)

Without further characterization, let me just say I think this is a neat effect!! As usual, the form is wonderful.

Mark, I wonder what the effect would be to dye the lower two thirds, and then sand to fade out the black, leaving the bottom third dark black fading out to natural in the upper third? Just a thought, as I am sure you have another piece of ash lying around somewhere!:D

Mark Cothren
08-30-2010, 7:54 AM
Just a thought, as I am sure you have another piece of ash lying around somewhere!:D

I've done some different things with the ink on Ash, but not a fade as you suggested. I do have a few pieces left and I'd be glad to send you one if you wanna try it out? ;)

John Keeton
08-30-2010, 7:58 AM
Mark, sounds tempting, but I would hate to make a mess of your wood!! Not sure I could pull off one of these as well as you do.

Steve Schlumpf
08-30-2010, 8:02 AM
Looks great Mark! Really like the photo as well!

Tom Sherman
08-30-2010, 8:23 AM
Mark this one is cool love the ink on it.

David E Keller
08-30-2010, 8:42 AM
I like it a lot! It would be a perfect vessel to display colorful wooden spheres or eggs.

David DeCristoforo
08-30-2010, 11:17 AM
"...there are a couple of observations that are going to be difficult to explain to the congregation..."

When I say "wicked", I don't mean like "wicked" evil. I mean like wicked extremely bitchin. Read here: http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/wicked

Frank Van Atta
08-30-2010, 12:12 PM
An unusual and striking piece.

bob svoboda
08-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Very nice form. I don't usually like anything but natural color in wood, but I can easily make an exception this time. Good work!

Curt Fuller
08-30-2010, 8:46 PM
"...there are a couple of observations that are going to be difficult to explain to the congregation..."

When I say "wicked", I don't mean like "wicked" evil. I mean like wicked extremely bitchin. Read here: http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/wicked

Doesn't matter how you define "wicked", this bowl meets all definitions. Mark, you N E bowls are just incredible. The thing about this one is that you can take all the oohs and ahhs away that a pretty piece of wood provides and it's still a beautiful bowl.

Bernie Weishapl
08-30-2010, 9:48 PM
Mark for me that is stunning. Really a great looking piece. It is just something about the black.

Michael James
08-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Nice.... and I like black and know JUST what to try it on!!!!!:cool:
mj

Ken Glass
08-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Absolutely love It!!

Aaron Wingert
08-31-2010, 10:57 AM
I like it a lot! It would be a perfect vessel to display colorful wooden spheres or eggs.

Or Halloween candy. :rolleyes:

Mark that thing is just great. I'd have never thought to blacken it. Aside from the turning the coloring just adds something, without fooling you into thinking it isn't wood.