PDA

View Full Version : Top and a place to spin it

Curt Fuller
08-29-2010, 11:19 PM
I always have scraps and leftover pieces of wood that are really too pretty to throw out but not really something you could use for much. Mark Cothren posted some cool slab bowls that he's been making from the pith section of logs he cuts for bowl blanks. So I thought I'd post a similar use for something of a little smaller piece. This is just a cutoff from a piece of cottonwood I used for a HF a while back. I left the rough chainsaw edge on the top and sides, turned a recess in the bottom and a small foot for it to stand on, and a shallow dish to spin the top in on the top side. The tops spin in the bowl without jumping off the edge of the table and for some reason they just get addicting once you start playing with them. My BIL has one of these on his desk that he sits and plays with when he's in executive mode so I decided to call them Executive Pacifiers. Anyway, her is one from the cottonwood.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-30-2010, 12:02 AM
Good use for a little piece of nice wood Curt, another good idea to store away ;-))

Mark Cothren
08-30-2010, 12:05 AM
Curt, I ain't no executive by any stretch of the imagination... but I'm thinkin' I need one of these for my desk...:D

John Keeton
08-30-2010, 7:03 AM
Curt, that is neat!! Great idea, too. I love the cottonwood scrap - lot going on with it.

A feller could take a cove bit (or offcenter turn) a couple of very slight recesses in the dish area, put a little black paint in one, white in the other, and have an executive decision maker!! If the top ends up in the black one, the answer is NO!

Steve Schlumpf
08-30-2010, 8:05 AM
Another original Fuller creation! Very nice work Curt!

Tom Sherman
08-30-2010, 8:18 AM
Pretty cool Curt, very imaginative. Cottonwood looks great.

David E Keller
08-30-2010, 8:44 AM
That's fun! The old office desk could use one of these.

Tom Sherman
08-30-2010, 8:48 AM
That's fun! The old office desk could use one of these.

:eek::eek::eek:YIKEs...Not for decision making I hope.:rolleyes:

Pete Jordan
08-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Once again you have inspired me, Buddy!

Matt Ranum
08-30-2010, 7:15 PM
A feller could take a cove bit (or offcenter turn) a couple of very slight recesses in the dish area, put a little black paint in one, white in the other, and have an executive decision maker!! If the top ends up in the black one, the answer is NO!

I like that! Hahahaha You run across some judges that use that method have ya? :p

David E Keller
08-30-2010, 7:24 PM
:eek::eek::eek:YIKEs...Not for decision making I hope.:rolleyes:

Of course not, Tom. The coin flip is still much faster.:D

John Keeton
08-30-2010, 7:41 PM
I like that! Hahahaha You run across some judges that use that method have ya? :pA few, Matt...a few!;) Or, at least that was the impression I got.

Of course, our resident judge (Cathy) is not included in that company!!:D

Rick Gibson
08-30-2010, 7:48 PM
I like that Curt, another thing to file away when I get tired of pens.

John Hart
08-30-2010, 8:58 PM
Oh man!! That's my next project for sure!!. I need something for my desk. I just cleaned it. It looks empty. :)

Tom Wilson66
08-30-2010, 10:53 PM
It's also fun to have two tops going at the same time and see which one knocks the other out of the dish:D

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2010, 10:27 AM
That is just to cool Curt. Looks like a project for my grandson. I think he would get a kick out of something like that.

Aaron Wingert
08-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Of course not, Tom. The coin flip is still much faster.:D

I just hope you're using sterilized coins when making decisions during surgery David. :p

Curt I really like the idea, and I love the name Executive Pacifier. Nice work on the turning.

John Hart
08-31-2010, 11:20 AM
I just hope you're using sterilized coins when making decisions during surgery David. :p

One of those times when the doctors says, "oops....now where'd that thing go?" :eek:

Bill Neff
08-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Very cool Curt. Great use of leftovers.

John, A couple of doctors I know said they were to to say "There!" not "Oops", it's the difference between 'you meant to' and 'lawsuit'!

Bill