PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite-Maple Vase Project

John Hart
08-29-2010, 7:19 PM
Well.. I decided to start a new project. This vase is step one. It's made from a mesquite HF that I roughed out over 3 years ago. And I added some Ambrosia maple to give it some contrast. It is 5" diameter and stands a snidge under 11" tall. Finished in rattle can lacquer.

Oh...and this is my first attempt at texturing. I've been askeered to try that....but I found an old antique texturing tool at an Amish Yard Sale...I guess the old guy was really into turning about 50 years ago. Anyway, I got the tool for 50 cents and decided to give it a go.

And...like I said..This is step one of the project. Now. I'm going to fill it with turned flowers, cattails, and timothy
Here's some of my first flower experiments. I've made a dozen more, and I'm getting better at it. Still have a ways to go though.

Roger Chandler
08-29-2010, 7:23 PM
John,

I think you have this form down to a science! You are just that good at it! and of course you have a beautiful finish that just screams for attention.

Awesome work professor Hart! ;):)

charlie knighton
08-29-2010, 7:31 PM
really like your start into flowers, i know you are still experienting, could ya give us a hint in your procedure so far????

John Hart
08-29-2010, 7:50 PM
really like your start into flowers, i know you are still experienting, could ya give us a hint in your procedure so far????

Sure Charlie

Ya go get yourself a stick. I'm using young branches off of some hedges and some young maple trees. About 1/2" to an inch in diameter. Mount securely in a chuck

With a very sharp skew..remove the bark

Then using the tool rest as a fulcrum, drive the skew in layers into the endgrain, levering the skew point down and over. This is the tricky part and why it requires young branches. You also don't want to force too much because it'll flake too far and parting off will remove some of the petals

So you just keep layering until you're to the center.

Parting off is tricky too. I lost at least 10 before I figured out how to do it right.

They really only take a few minutes. The backings are a little more challenging. Sorta like turning miniature vases.

The stems are all made from cherry....That's a load of fun too!!:)

Scott Hackler
08-29-2010, 7:51 PM
Very nice John. Once youget some of those turned flowers in that vase it will look super nice. I really like this form you have been working on.

Tony De Masi
08-29-2010, 7:56 PM
Real purdy stuff there John. Very nice contrast in the woods and I think the texturing gives it just a bit more umphhhh. And a laquer finish? Go figure.

Well done.

Tony

David E Keller
08-29-2010, 8:01 PM
That's pretty cool, John. I really like the flowers... I watched a guy on youtube making those, but I've yet to try my hand at it. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished ensemble(pronounced On Som Bluh).

Steve Schlumpf
08-29-2010, 8:27 PM
Looks really good John! I especially like the texturing! Very clean - very precise looking! Looking forward to seeing the completed piece with flowers!

John Keeton
08-29-2010, 8:34 PM
Hart, you are a regular 'flower child' holdover!! Nice work on the vase, and the tutorial on the flowers was interesting! Wonder what a wood with a dark heartwood would look like - e.g. walnut? And, you could always dye them, too.

Tom Sherman
08-29-2010, 8:35 PM
Good stuff John.

Bernie Weishapl
08-29-2010, 9:33 PM
That is a beauty John. I really like it. Flowers look mighty fine.

Baxter Smith
08-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Pretty cool. I am looking forward to the finished product!

David DeCristoforo
08-29-2010, 10:42 PM
That's just a very nice vase, John. I'm especially interested in seeing how your flowers work out. For some reason, I have been obsessed with flowers lately....

Michael James
08-29-2010, 11:08 PM
John,
I hope you bought the ol boy a lemonade or something. He was probably thinking 60's dollars...:cool:
Another creative appraoch with some nice woods. I beginning to think we've been lying to people warning them against inhalents....... hmmmm.
Great job as usual!
michael

Mark Cothren
08-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Git'r done, John. Can't wait to see it with the flowers added.

brian watts
08-30-2010, 4:32 AM
I really like it. Flowers look mighty fine.

bob svoboda
08-30-2010, 9:53 AM
Very nice work as usual John. Finished with lacquer huh? Imagine that.