PDA

View Full Version : A Plea, Please...

Mike Cruz
08-29-2010, 7:11 PM
I keep browsing through the beautiful creations that everyone's turning. I marvel at the finished products. I have just learned how to look at a log and I'm starting to grasp what might be there and how to attack it.

But, when I see some of these hollow forms with irregular patterns and voids, and natural edge bowls, I scratch my head a bit wondering what the blank looked like.

Here's the plea, when you show these amazing pieces, can you show a pick of the blank, too? Mounted or not, probably doesn't matter so much. I don't know, maybe it does, but at least a view of the blank so those of us that are learning can get a grasp of the process.

Thanks to all who do it, and to heck with anyone who doesn't! :)

Robert Arrowood
08-29-2010, 7:59 PM
Hey Mike the best ting to do is find a turning club in your area.I just got ahold of a tv for the dvd player I have in the shop.Now just got to get some turning dvd's.Mabe you can find someone close to you on the site here to come over and show you some stuff,Good Luck and Happy Turning.

David E Keller
08-29-2010, 8:07 PM
I'll try to keep this in mind next time I get into one of those forms.

Mike Cruz
08-29-2010, 8:19 PM
Robert, I do plan to join a local club. I actually have a couple to chose from. Thanks for the suggestion.

David, thanks, I'd appreciate it. Just make sure the wife isn't asleep when you make noise...:D

I just see this as an easy learning experience for all. Okay, maybe not all. But for a lot of us, none the less.

ed hoxter
08-29-2010, 10:40 PM
mike, i joined a good club in new castle, de. in jan. 2010. we meet at the woodcraft store there. first state woodturners, we meet the first wed of each month at 7 pm. if interested look us up. ed

Mike Cruz
08-30-2010, 5:50 AM
Thanks, Ed. I think Deleware is going to be a little bit too far of a haul for me. It would likely take a good 3 hours. I am near Hagerstown, MD. I do appreciate the thought, though.