PDA

View Full Version : A little help please... miter angle question

Jon Grider
08-29-2010, 7:11 PM
The loml wants to embellish the entry door to our 60's rancher with 3 diamond shaped nail-ons made with chair rail type molding. The vertical axis will be 3 1/2" longer than the horizontal. Any finish carpenters out there who can tell me the scoop on the angles for the 4 pieces or a link to a website that covers these type of problems?

Chip Lindley
08-29-2010, 7:45 PM
I draw things like this out full-size (when practical) and measure the angles with a protractor. It's faster than trying to find where the grandchildren "hid" my construction calculator!

Dan West02
08-29-2010, 8:32 PM
I can give you the angles but only after you decide on what length you want for either the horizontal or vertical axis. Just saying 3 1/2" difference does not mean anything unless you know the lengths. For instance, a 10" horizontal axis with a 13 1/2" vertical gives you different angles than a 20" horizontal and a 23 1/2" vertical.

Dave Wagner
08-30-2010, 12:37 PM
if you break it down into a right angle triangles using your differences...

about 32 deg, and 58 degrees (using 3" & 4.75" for the 2 sides, that would be 6" across and 9.5" down).

If know your measurements, split your length & width in half for each leg of the triangle. and put in for A & B in th equation, it will caluculate the other.

http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calrtri.htm

Jon Grider
08-31-2010, 5:47 PM
Thanks for the input...however my wife has changed her mind and went with 14" squares turned at a 45 degree angle for mounting with a smaller square inside the larger one.
Still a diamond shape I guess and in keeping with the mid century ranch theme she likes. They're all cut now I just have to glue and finish nail them to the door. And thanks, Dave for the link, I'll save it in case i ever need it.