PDA

View Full Version : Early B-Day present!

Jeff Nicol
08-29-2010, 6:27 PM
Well today was that day that our son went back to Idaho and since I was near a Woodcraft and several Rockler stores, well you know what happens!! I went to get some bullet pen kits and a couple of carving chisels to add to my collection and to see what was on sale. I looked around a bit at the Woodcraft store and this big golden thing was shining back in the corner and I heard it beckoning me....Jeff.....Jeff.....just a couple weeks until your birthday......Buy me it said! Well after a little hemming and hawing and trying not to let the tool devil persuade me into doing something I should'nt, and ......well.....you know, I LOST THE BATTLE! So now I have this new thing in my shop that will make drilling pens so much more fun! It is a good thing my wife will be gone until Tuesday, I can get a good excuse, or my begging for forgivness ritual down pat!

Been dreaming of one of these for about 1 1/2 years, so now I need a new dream!

Hope everyone stayed cool today, 93 and humid here, but the stores had AC!

Jeff

Tony De Masi
08-29-2010, 6:34 PM
Congrats on the new press Jeff. If all else fails with SWMBO then just tell here you thought you deserved it:D

Happy Early Birthday.

Tony

Bill Bulloch
08-29-2010, 6:35 PM
'LOST THE BATTLE"....Sounds to me like you WON THE BATTLE...You got the Drill and that is what you wanted. Now, you will just have to face the consequences when the wife returns, but no matter what happens you got the drill press.

Harvey Ghesser
08-29-2010, 6:36 PM
Let me be the first! Happy Birthday, Jeff!!!:D:D

Enjoy the dp! and many more toys...you deserve it!:D:D

Harv

Donny Lawson
08-29-2010, 6:38 PM
Happy Early Birthday!!!!!!!! You've got a nice present.It should last a lifetime.
Donny

Mike Stephens
08-29-2010, 6:41 PM
Jeff that is 1 sweet dp.

Congratulations. Happy Birthday.

Jeff Nicol
08-29-2010, 6:53 PM
Well I called to tell my beautiful bride that I made it home in one piece, the first thing she said was "Did you buy any fun things at the wood store?" well I could not tell a lie and she said that I was a naughty boy and that I may get an extra spanking when she gets home! I told her how handy it would come in making the new computer desk and the entertainment center, that seemed to work, but now I have to build them! Maybe that was the wrong way to go about justifying it!

Thanks all and I can't wait to put it through the paces! The 1hp motor should make things pretty easy and with 400-3000 rpm, laser centering, huge expanding table and more! I feel like a little kid!

Take care all,

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
08-29-2010, 6:57 PM
Jeff - congrats! We all know the feeling of bringing home new tools! Enjoy!

Roger Chandler
08-29-2010, 7:02 PM
Well I called to tell my beautiful bride that I made it home in one piece, the first thing she said was "Did you buy any fun things at the wood store?" well I could not tell a lie and she said that I was a naughty boy and that I may get an extra spanking when she gets home! I told her how handy it would come in making the new computer desk and the entertainment center, that seemed to work, but now I have to build them! Maybe that was the wrong way to go about justifying it!

Thanks all and I can't wait to put it through the paces! The 1hp motor should make things pretty easy and with 400-3000 rpm, laser centering, huge expanding table and more! I feel like a little kid!

Take care all,

Jeff

Jeff,

I have been looking at that same drill press at my local vendor. Nice choice.

It is most likely your wife knows you well enough that she knows that you gave her a "sales pitch" speaking of how she would benefit as well as you will, and she sees this a s win/win situation, and her superior psychology came into play, and she lets you have the toys, and she gets what she wants as well.

And then she knows..........from now on "you owe her" :eek::D:D:D, and she loves you enough to let you think it was your idea! :D;):rolleyes:

Jack Mincey
08-29-2010, 8:00 PM
Nice looking machine, it should last you a life time.
Jack

Pete Jordan
08-29-2010, 8:00 PM
Happy Birthday Buddy!

You really know how to shop for yourself!

David E Keller
08-29-2010, 8:05 PM
Congratulations on the new toy! I may give your name to my wife for a birthday consultation when mine is coming around... You really know how to celebrate.:D

David Christopher
08-29-2010, 8:13 PM
congrats Jeff, that should last a while

Jake Helmboldt
08-29-2010, 8:19 PM
Is that the replacement for the 3520? That is one funky looking lathe. ;)

Michael James
08-29-2010, 8:41 PM
Jeff,
If you're practicing your rationalization for when the little mrs. gets home, I'm afraid that beautiful drill press is a little overkill for pens. Keep working on it. Regardless, you deserve it!
tu amigo,
mj

Tom Sherman
08-29-2010, 8:44 PM
Great gloat Jeff, hope it serves you well. Oh and Happy Birthday.

Greg Bender
08-29-2010, 8:44 PM
Jeff,
nice choice ,that has been on my wishlist since it came out.
Happy Birthday to you also.
Greg

John Keeton
08-29-2010, 9:19 PM
You Mustard worshippers....I just don't know....!!!!:D:D;) Congrats, Jeff! You make your living in that shop, and this is more than just a toy for you!!

Happy B'day - a couple of weeks early!! Don't expect anything more from the wife, by the way!;):rolleyes:

Ken Glass
08-29-2010, 9:25 PM
Jeff,
Way to go!! What a great B-day present. That will make the task much easier on many things.

Bernie Weishapl
08-29-2010, 9:32 PM
Congrats Jeff on a great machine. Well deserved. A early happy birthday.

Bill Wilcox
08-29-2010, 9:34 PM
Nice score Jeff. I like how the turners can always fall back on the "flat work" as an excuse to get MORE STUFF.
I remember when I met Jeff at his shop he kept telling me that, " You can't have too much stuff." I find that this is a very true statement and I use it all the time.:D

Thomas Canfield
08-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Congratulations. Lots of travel and variable speed. Makes changing 2 belts look harder all the time on my old Delta, but don't think I can talk up a third upgrade. It looks like you have a pile of steady angle rest rings waiting in the background. I am still impressed with your steady rest for my Powermatic.

Jeff Fagen
08-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Looks like you parked it in the main isle.:rolleyes:
Did you move your welding operation to the shed now?
Even so there is allways room for a new machine.enjoy.:D

David DeCristoforo
08-29-2010, 10:45 PM
"Buy me it said! Well after a little hemming and hawing and trying not to let the tool devil persuade me into doing something I should'nt, and ......well.....you know, I LOST THE BATTLE!"

You ought to know better by now. The only way to win this battle is to not fight it in the first place. Either stay out of the tool stores, leave your money at home or figure on having to think up a good story on the way home!

Jeff Nicol
08-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks guys, I figured my 3520 was lonely since it was the only Powermatic tool in the shop. I have a Jet planer, Jet jointer, Jet bandsaw so they have friends. I have a Delta grinder and a Delta 46-460 and an old Delta 10" miter saw out in the pole shed for cutting when needed, so no unhappiness there. But the 3520B was longing for a friend, so I fixed that!

Jeff, I just unloaded it and got it in the shop with the help of a friend and I was tired from the driving and it was hot, so tomorrow I will get it moved into its new location. My old little drill press will go in the back with all the metal working tools. I was tired of the cross contamination from doing wood projects and then metal. It really is no fun digging small metal shavings out of a nice board!

Steady production in on going and I have them staged all over the place, soon to slow down as bow season is the weekend after my birthday. I will have to see how much longer I can keep doing them without crossing things off the honey do list!

It really is a very nice machine, today was the first time I got to see one in person and I was ruined for life! Now I have to get the monster band saw going and in place and let the wood working commence!

If any one has any questions about it give me a shout and I can fill you in.

In all my hurry to get it in the truck, I forgot one of the bags of wood I bought sitting on the counter! The boss is going to pick it up for me tomorrow since she is still in Minneapolis! Lost my head with the new toy!

Time for bed,

Jeff