PDA

View Full Version : Spokeshave Hand-me-downs

glenn bradley
08-29-2010, 1:03 PM
Dad passed these on. The No. 55 I haven't gotten cleaned up yet but I Evap-o-rust'd the blade on the boxwood shave and got a decent edge on it. REstored the handle from its paint-splattered and abused state (not by dad). It made quick work of the end of this QSWO rectangular scrap.

The running hammer had a broken handle that I fixed. It is left over from dad's jewelry making days and may just become a nic-nac in the house as I have other special hammers for the shop.

george wilson
08-29-2010, 1:30 PM
Best inlay a piece of brass in the mouth of the spokeshave. It will wear out real fast if you don't. It has already started to get worn.

Never heard a chasing hammer called a running hammer. Is that another correct name for it?

glenn bradley
08-29-2010, 2:49 PM
Best inlay a piece of brass in the mouth of the spokeshave. It will wear out real fast if you don't.

Thanks. I wondered about that. My Neander quotient is quite low. This one seems to have never had one. All the newer ones I have seen (including kits) use the brass piece. I'll tinker around with that. Any tips as to how they are held in place? Mortise and contact cement? Magic?

Never heard a chasing hammer called a running hammer. Is that another correct name for it?

Nope. Chasing hammer; you've got it right, I'm a goof. ;-)

Jim Koepke
08-29-2010, 3:51 PM
Nope. Chasing hammer; you've got it right, I'm a goof. ;-)

No, when you are chasing something aren't you usually running?

jim

Caspar Hauser
08-29-2010, 4:05 PM
What is the difference between a Chasing hammer and a Planishing hammer?

george wilson
08-29-2010, 4:14 PM
A chasing hammer is used to hammer chasing tools. They are various shaped little punches that are used to make designs on metal,rather like leather working tools tool leather. We must have 500 of them.

A planishing hammer has 1 flat face,and 1 slightly curved face. It is used to go over the rougher hammer marks that were made in forming a piece of hollow ware,and smooth them out. The hammer has highly polished faces,and they leave the silver polished bright. In the old days the planishing was considered the final surface,except for minimal hand buffing with charged leather buffs.

Armor makers used such hammers to impart their final surface. They were called "armor brights."

Caspar Hauser
08-29-2010, 6:09 PM
A chasing hammer is used to hammer chasing tools. They are various shaped little punches that are used to make designs on metal,rather like leather working tools tool leather. We must have 500 of them.

A planishing hammer has 1 flat face,and 1 slightly curved face. It is used to go over the rougher hammer marks that were made in forming a piece of hollow ware,and smooth them out. The hammer has highly polished faces,and they leave the silver polished bright.

Thanks Mr Wilson. I realised while reading your reply that I had known the answer to my own question... thirty five odd years ago that is..

Doug Roper Chairmaker
08-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Glenn,
The shaves I've made with the brass wear plate were let in the sole like a hinge gain and secured with screws. The walnut shave is a demo I show students, it reveals the mortise without the wear plate.

Brass, 1/16" thick x 1/2" width, can be obtained from many sources, I get mine at a local hobby shop. It comes in various lengths, just cut to size.

glenn bradley
08-30-2010, 8:22 PM
Thanks Doug. that's just what I needed to see.