PDA

View Full Version : Tool ID

Gary Hodgin
08-29-2010, 12:28 PM
I hope someone can tell me what these tools are. I got these from my grandfather's estate several years ago. My grandfather was primarily a farmer but did cut timber for cross-ties. I suspect these tools have to do with sharpening his crosscut saws or farm equipment. I have two of his 2-man crosscut saws and a 1-man crosscut saw. He was born in 1880 (died in 1976) and I estimate these tools would have been used between 1900 and 1950. He moved off the farm around 1950.

Jim Koepke
08-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Garry,

The software should size the images for you.

Did you use the paper clip icon above the message composition field?

I often find that clicking on the upload button doesn't take. I keep an eye on my modem and if I do not see the lights flickering within a few seconds of selecting the upload button, it gets a second click. Then the lights stop flickering for a moment while the software resizes the images. Then a few more flickers and the window changes to show that the images are there. If you have posted the same image previously, it will not allow the image being uploaded again with your tricking the software.

It is possible to add images later. You have to select edit and then when that window opens there is an option to "go advanced" selecting that should then allow the addition of images.

Hope this help so we can help you identify the tools.

jim

Gary Herrmann
08-29-2010, 1:36 PM
That looks like a hand cranked sickle sharpener.

Rick Whitehead
08-29-2010, 1:43 PM
The smaller item is a handsaw vise.It unfolds and clamps to the edge of a bench or board.
Rick

Nicholas Lingg
08-29-2010, 1:48 PM
It was used to sharpen the trianglural blades on mowers like this picture

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=159788&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1283084500 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=159788&d=1283084500)

Picture borrowed from Rusty Gerdes

Gary Hodgin
08-29-2010, 4:13 PM
Thanks guys, I suspected they had something to do with sharpening but not sure what. He was pretty big on keeping his stuff sharp. I'll take Jim's advice and maybe can get pics posted a little easier next time.