PDA

View Full Version : "Southwest" Box Elder Hollowform

Curt Fuller
08-29-2010, 12:01 PM
I googled "southwest pottery" and you can find about every shape, form, and style under the sun. But for some reason this shape has taken on the name of Southwest amongst us woodturners so I guess it is what it is. This is 6.5" x 4.5". It has a segmented accent band of some Mesquite that Ernie Nyvall sent me. The Mesquite band is a collar and then the Box Elder spout is another collar set in the Mesquite band. Then I left some of the natural edge of the burl on the main form and the opening of the spout. The side view shows the verticle grain in the burl and reminds me of the watermarks that are on the sandstone cliffs in southern Utah. So I guess that gives it a little more southwest look.

Harvey Schneider
08-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Curt,
That is just beautiful. The shape is really elegant and the wood is spectacular. The best part is that you had the vision to put them together.
Harvey in Southbury, CT

John Keeton
08-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Curt, I love what you have done here! The form is great, but the segmented collar, and the addition of the 'spout' really increases the interest level. Beautiful piece of burl, too! Super piece!

Larry Marley
08-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Hi Curt,
I like it.
I think you featured the wood's personality really well.
Larry

David DeCristoforo
08-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Ahhhh! Love it! this is one of the coolest pieces I have seen posted here... ever!

Steve Schlumpf
08-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Excellent Curt! Love the form, amazing wood and the inset spout gives it an entirely unique look! Your work is always inspiring! Great imagination! Thanks for sharing!

David E Keller
08-29-2010, 1:04 PM
That's pretty cool. It's certainly a beautiful piece of burl, and I love the accent ring and spout. You've posted some seriously pretty stuff in the last month or so.

Ken Glass
08-29-2010, 2:03 PM
Curt,
What a great piece. You have enhanced it with the segmented collar and the NE top and sides really make it look like an old piece of pottery. It is an extremely interesting piece for sure. Well done, Sir.

kenneth walker
08-29-2010, 2:05 PM
Curt Great looking HF

Baxter Smith
08-29-2010, 3:14 PM
Great looking HF Curt. Since I have been wondering as I repeatedly look at this, I have to ask. How did you do that?:) Is the spout part of the burl pretty much where it was originally in the burl, and if so, what was your procedure for getting it back there? Very original!

Bernie Weishapl
08-29-2010, 3:26 PM
Absolutely beautiful Curt. I really like that form.

Ted Calver
08-29-2010, 3:31 PM
Fantastic piece! You have taken a great form and enhanced it with the collar and natural edge. They don't come any better!!

Michael James
08-29-2010, 4:44 PM
thats what I would like to be able to make some day.... excellent job in every aspect from design through the elegant finish. And beautiful wood too!
michael

Paul Douglass
08-29-2010, 5:02 PM
Absolutely one of the top pieces ever posted.

Tom Sherman
08-29-2010, 5:10 PM
Outstanding piece Curt, you are deffinately taking this to another level.

Richard Madden
08-29-2010, 5:15 PM
This piece is top notch. I really like what you did with the collar and the natural edge spout. Excellent!!:cool:

alex carey
08-29-2010, 5:16 PM
Wow thats a great piece, nice job curt.

charlie knighton
08-29-2010, 7:37 PM
very nice....

Curt Fuller
08-29-2010, 9:29 PM
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the nice comments. You guys are the best!

Great looking HF Curt. Since I have been wondering as I repeatedly look at this, I have to ask. How did you do that?:) Is the spout part of the burl pretty much where it was originally in the burl, and if so, what was your procedure for getting it back there? Very original!

Baxter, I really appreciate the fact that you wondered if the piece of burl that makes the spout was part of the main piece. That's how I was hoping to make it look. But no, it isn't part of that burl. It's actually made from a cutoff piece from rounding the blank so the burl pattern and color match pretty closely. I think if you had a small coring tool it would be possible to core out some of the burl and use it though. I've just never tried it.....yet.

Roger Chandler
08-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Curt,

That is an awesome piece of wood. You really did a nice form here, and it is a piece that shines natural beauty, and the talent of the turner as well.

Congratulations on fine piece of work!

Leo Van Der Loo
08-29-2010, 11:47 PM
Curt beautiful piece, both the wood and form are just that, beautiful, the collar looks real nice above the darker wood, especially with that natural edge on it, yup beautiful piece and thanks for showing it :-)))

Mark Cothren
08-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Curt, this is a great piece of wood and I love the shape you turned with it. The collar is growin' on me every time I look at it and the NE spout on top is as good as gravy on the biscuit!

Jeff Nicol
08-30-2010, 7:11 AM
Curt, The burl in this one is outstanding! You used the shape and the NE top to bring out every bit of the beauty, the dark accent ring adds some grace and ellegance.

Very nice presentation,

Jeff

Alan Trout
08-30-2010, 7:35 AM
Curt,

Excellent piece, Great natural edge, form, along with a spectacular piece of wood.

Great job

Alan

Cathy Schaewe
08-30-2010, 8:08 AM
That is absolutely stunning!

David Woodruff
08-30-2010, 9:21 AM
Curt, the Southwest forms are one of my favorites. You nailed this one, beautiful work.

Robert McGowen
08-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Nice work, Curt. I really like the idea of adding the collar like you have done.

Joshua Dinerstein
08-30-2010, 11:17 AM
I like it. A great piece Curt! I love the figure in that piece of wood and the collar sets it all of nicely.

Joshua

Frank Van Atta
08-30-2010, 12:10 PM
A truly beautiful piece.

Pete Jordan
08-30-2010, 1:01 PM
Well done, Curt!

Love the design!

steven carter
08-30-2010, 2:44 PM
Curt,

Absolutely superb! A person could get lost in those swirls, great form, and I love the natural edge spout and accent ring.

Steve