PDA

View Full Version : Running 110v hand tools on 220v

John Preston
12-13-2004, 8:01 AM
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but unless I misremember that rotating machines class in college, most hand tools use "universal" motors. If I remember rightly, the darned things run on just about any voltage.
So, my question is, are most of the hand tools bought in the states good for 220v? Do some of your tools have 110-220v right on the tags? I'd go and look at my sanders, saws, and routers myself, but the darned things are in storage 3,000 miles away. I was thinking this might be a good chance to sneak in some Festools. Besides, aren't those sold in Europe too? Doesn't Europe run on 220v (50 Hz)?

Jim Becker
12-13-2004, 8:28 AM
"Universal motor" and "universal voltage" are not necessarily the connected so do not assume that you can just put on a plug adapter and go with the higher voltage/lower cycle power in the EU or elsewhere. It depends upon how the tool was built and wired, etc. Unfortunately, you'll need to look at each tool individually with respect to this question. Some may be convertable; many may not. And power tools are likely too hungry to be used with a travel voltage adapter, too.

Kevin Arceneaux
12-13-2004, 9:29 AM
You cannot use tools wired for EU electricity in the US and vice versa. The only way would be through a power converter, one that can handle the current. I have a feeling that the cost for that would be high, you would have to balance that out with the cost of correct voltage/cycles tools.

Each maker designs the tools for the market they are selling too. This means if you are a EU country that want to sell to the US, must two lines. The same for a US company.