PDA

View Full Version : A finish follow up

Scott Lux
08-29-2010, 10:18 AM
I often wonder how a finish holds up over time. I've only kept one pen for myself, so I can only see one sample. But I thought I'd show it off for those who wonder.

This is honeylocust, sanded to 400, and finished with Hut Crystal Coat. I know it's a friction finish, it's the only thing I knew how to do then. I also think it's long gone off this pen. But the pen is starting to develop a patina of use.

On a pen turning forum, I hear patina talked about as though it were vile and disgusting. I suppose it is when you think about what it's made of.

To me, the patina of use is what makes a wooden object seem real.

I like it, I know many of you will not. But here is an example of a "poor" finish three years out and used daily.

Lux

PS I also see the heel marks from the skew and all the other mistakes I made. But it's still my favorite, because it just fits my hand perfectly.

David E Keller
08-29-2010, 1:16 PM
It doesn't look much different to me in the photos, but it's a nice looking pen.

I have a few pens that are finished that way... They seem to develop a soft, velvety feel that I really like.

Bernie Weishapl
08-29-2010, 3:41 PM
Still looks good Scott. I have a couple of pens I sanded to 1000 and left them with no finish. I really, really like the patina after a couple of years of use. Has not degraded in any way.

Steve Schlumpf
08-29-2010, 5:19 PM
Scott - I watch Antiques Roadshow regularly and anyone who watches it knows that if you remove the patina from an object - you just killed it's value! I find the same thing holds true with everything else - when you remove the patina - you remove the object's history. Your pen has a look about it that says 'comfort' and I don't know what else you would want in a pen or a finish!

David Woodruff
08-30-2010, 9:18 AM
What Steve said........

Scott Lux
08-30-2010, 9:37 AM
Bernie, I wish I had a before picture for this. This is the "front" and "back" of this pen to show more of the grain.