PDA

View Full Version : Please help me ID these tools

Rusty Gerdes
08-29-2010, 8:22 AM
Please help me Identify these hand tools. I am not sure of the correct names etc. Any help would be apprecaited.

Rusty

John Keeton
08-29-2010, 8:43 AM
Rusty, I will let others comment on the saws in the first two pics, but the third pic is of a cutter bar from a mowing machine used on a tractor. You don't see these much anymore as most use disc mowers.

David Keller NC
08-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Both the first and second pictures are images of cross-cut bucking saws used to "buck" (shorten) green wood logs. The first image shows two two-man saws; the second was designed for a single user. They're not terribly valuable, but if you're so inclined, and if you sharpen them correctly, they're amazingly fast. Not as fast as a chainsaw, though.

If you're interested in who made them (Disston, Atkins, etc...), there's usually one saw nut in the handle that has a cast logo medallion that usually has the name of the company. If it's a Disston, you can use the info on The Disstonian Institute website to date its manufacture.

george wilson
08-29-2010, 10:10 AM
is that 3rd "saw" the mower bar off of a mowing bar for a tractor? You didn't mention its size.

Jim Rimmer
08-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Rusty, I will let others comment on the saws in the first two pics, but the third pic is of a cutter bar from a mowing machine used on a tractor. You don't see these much anymore as most use disc mowers.
My grandfather referred to it as a sicle (?) mower.

Tom Winship
08-30-2010, 8:51 AM
I agree, the third picture looks like a sickle bar from a mower. Is it my imagination or does it have a progressive pitch? If so, I've not seen one like that nor do I understand why that would be any advantage.

Jason Roehl
08-30-2010, 9:16 AM
My grandfather referred to it as a sicle (?) mower.

Same here. (It's "sickle", though.)

I'm jealous on the other saws, though. I've always wanted to have at least one each of one-man and two-man bucking saws. Primarily for decoration, but I hate to drag out a power tool for one quick cut that can give me a little exercise. That, and I get excited watching the Timbersports shows on TV. The chainsaw parts are great, but watching the axe events, bucksawing and climbing are the best parts--those are where the real skills come out.