PDA

View Full Version : Wireless parking sensors

Jay Jolliffe
08-28-2010, 5:11 PM
I've been on line for about two hrs trying to decide on what will work. So I decided to try here to get some info from some who maybe have one. Been looking at ones that have just sensors & some with sensors & camera....Any help would be appreciated. Looking for make & model.....

Chris Harry
08-28-2010, 7:07 PM
My brother in law got a laser dot setup. Doesnt sound like it was cheap, but all it really is is a LED mounted on a base that allows the LED to move around. Set the LED on, line it up with some point on your car (top of steering wheel, dashboard, etc) and then leave it. It comes on when the garage door opens (not sure about closes).

Honestly you could probably do the same with a wireless motion sensor and a couple X10 modules. Have the motion sensor aimed right at your garage door...when the door moves have it turn on an outlet with a laser point LED plugged in, the LED which aims at your car. Then just drive in.

G. Brad Schmidt
08-28-2010, 7:11 PM
I purchased the Chamberlain Wireless Driveway Alarm (http://www.chamberlain-diy.com/doityourself/pages/productfamily.aspx?famid=140) a few years ago off Ebay. It was had for under $75 with two sensors included.

This baby is extremely sensitive. I use it exclusively for nocturnal notification when rats are raiding our bird feeders. The system can gather the heat signature of a common Brown Rat from 15ft. away; this is the distance I set mine. As soon as I get the "buzz" the culling begins.

http://www.clicksmilies.com/auswahl/ernaehrung004.gif (http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ernaehrung/food-drink-smilies.html)

Jay Jolliffe
08-29-2010, 12:36 AM
I guess I wasn't clear....This is for you car when you are backing up. Some of the newer cars have the sensors in the bumpers. They detect when your going to back into something.

Mitchell Andrus
08-29-2010, 8:26 AM
I guess I wasn't clear....This is for you car when you are backing up.

......and I was about to suggest a tennis ball on a string. Great. Blew that idea out of the water.

Mitchell Andrus
08-29-2010, 8:27 AM
I'm thinking of putting one in my mailbox. Y'know... the mail box at the end of my 1/4 mile long, up hill both ways, driveway.

Hmmmm....

I wonder if we could find one that calls you on your cell phone.

Jay Jolliffe
08-29-2010, 9:14 AM
Your always good for a laugh Mitchell.

Jim Rimmer
08-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Check salvage yards for cars where the owner didn't pay attention to the warning. Actually, I guess you would need one that hadn't been hit in the rear. :rolleyes:

I've got an F150 with a camera in the logo on the tailgate. Might look for a wrecked pickup.

How would you display the camera feed? Mine has an LCD built into the dash but after market mounting might be a little tough.

Jay Jolliffe
08-30-2010, 5:56 AM
What I was really hoping for was that someone who bought the aftermarket one that you install your self. You can buy the whole set up with or with out camera.