PDA

View Full Version : Remote switch on Jet 1642 vs

Ben Richardson
08-28-2010, 3:16 PM
I would like to have a remote switch on my Jet 1642 VS. I looked in the history of this group but did not find any comments except from Steve S. not to use a foot switch on a VS lathe. Has any one rewired their 1642 to move or improve the stock Jet switch?

Thanks
Ben

Steve Schlumpf
08-28-2010, 7:50 PM
Ben - PM sent.

Josh Bowman
08-28-2010, 9:17 PM
Steve's switch works great....and it can be done with out cutting any of the stock wires or drilling additional holes.

Harvey Schneider
08-29-2010, 7:18 AM
I finally got around to adding a remote switch to my 1642. It was so easy that I don't know why I waited so long.
I did mine with a twist though. I used a Linemaster (normally open) foot switch. With the foot switch I can stop the lathe simply by shifting my weight off the switch. This leaves my hands free to deal with the tool and the work. I really like this arrangement. I got the idea from a video of Del Stubbs with his home made clutch on his lathe.
One caveat about using a switch like this. Accidentally stepping on the switch will cause the lathe to start. It is necessary to use either the big red button or the speed knob to disable the lathe so that the foot switch cannot activate it. That was easy to get used to since it is the same action that I was used to before the addition of the foot switch.
The foot switch does get lost under wood shavings, and I am thinking of making a housing out of PVC for it.
As far as I can tell, the wiring for the Jet 1642 is the same as the wiring for the PM3520.
Happy turning
Harvey in Southbury, CT

Harvey Schneider
08-29-2010, 9:36 AM
not to use a foot switch on a VS lathe.

For those who don't know. Stopping an electronic variable speed drive repeatedly by interrupting the power input can cause damage to the drive electronics. This is true of all electronic variable speed drives.
Drives of this type are meant to be enabled/disabled with a control signal rather than having their input power interrupted.
There is nothing wrong with turning off the input power when the lathe will not be used for an extended period of time, but it is not necessary. My lathe has been powered up continually since I first got it about four years ago.
Harvey in Southbury, CT

Josh Bowman
08-29-2010, 9:47 AM
For those who don't know. Stopping an electronic variable speed drive repeatedly by interrupting the power input can cause damage to the drive electronics. This is true of all electronic variable speed drives.
Drives of this type are meant to be enabled/disabled with a control signal rather than having their input power interrupted.
There is nothing wrong with turning off the input power when the lathe will not be used for an extended period of time, but it is not necessary. My lathe has been powered up continually since I first got it about four years ago.
Harvey in Southbury, CT
Harvey, good information. I don't exactly where Steve has this in the food chain of wiring. But it's the same wire that goes through the stock stop switch and the wire only 18 gauge.
Josh

Harvey Schneider
08-29-2010, 10:18 AM
I don't exactly where Steve has this in the food chain of wiring.

On my 1642 there is a short jumper that goes from the stop switch to the direction switch. I put my remote switch in place of this jumper. It was convenient because Jet used Faston connections on that jumper which makes it easy to disconnect and splice into.
These are control signal wires and don't carry any significant current. I suggest 24 AWG stranded wire for the extension to the remote switch. The wires can be brought out through a hole in the bottom of the casting, but should be bound to something so that you can't pull on the connections when you move the switch.
Always disconnect the lathe from power when handling the control wiring. This is to protect the drive from damage caused by electro-static discharge.
I believe that all of this is correct, but you use this information at your own risk.
Harvey in Southbury, CT

Bob Aumock
08-30-2010, 2:24 PM
Harvey, am I understanding correctly that you're saying it's better when you are turning a piece and want to stop the lathe( in this case a Jet 1642 w/VSC) periodically while turning to check yor progress, that it's better to use the VSC( since the Jet 1642 goes down to 0 RPM's) than to use the Start/Stop switch to stop the lathe ? I'm new at this game and have been mostly using the Variable Speed Control to stop the lathe(Jet 1642) while turning to examine my work/progress.

Thx for Clarifying,
Bob

Bob Aumock
08-30-2010, 2:28 PM
In my previous post I'm referring to EVS( Electronic Variable Speed )as VSC(Variable Speed Control)...sorry for any confusion.

Bob

Harvey Schneider
08-30-2010, 2:53 PM
Sorry if it wasn't clear.

The remote switch and the Start/Stop switch do identically the same thing. The remote foot switch I am using is just more convenient because I don't have to reach for it.

What you should not do is use a foot switch that interrupts the power to the lathe. This would be a switch that plugs into the wall and has the lathe plugged into the switches receptacle. That configuration will cause the drive electronics to fail.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-30-2010, 9:24 PM
I got a Grizzly switch. Cheap. So far so good. Should handle 2 hp 220V motors easily.

Search for a 220V switch, it should come up.

Steve Schlumpf
08-30-2010, 9:45 PM
Just as a follow up on this - I use a regular home style AC light switch - the ones you can get on sale for less than a buck. All you are doing is providing an additional on/off contact point within an existing circuit.

I do have a PDF of the simple mod I made for my Jet. I know the same mod works for the Powermatic... so, if you are interested in receiving the PDF - PM me and be sure to include your email address.

Bob Aumock
08-31-2010, 9:04 PM
When turning a piece is it detramental to the lathe electronics(lathe with EVS) to stop(numerous times during the turning of a piece to check progress) the lathe rpm's with the EVS control dial rather than use the factory On/Off switch or a remote switch. Being fairly new to the "vortex" I have not installed a remote on my Jet 1642 yet, although Steve was kind enough to provide me with his PDF info a couple of months ago...just haven't gotten to it...hopefully soon. I find the factory Jet Start/Stop switch kind of awarkward to use to start /stop the lathe numerous times while turning so I've gravitated to stopping the rpm/s by turning the EVS dial to zero. Will this frequent habit cause damage to EVS and would you recomend just using the factory On/Off switch to stop & start the lathe requently while turning.

Thx,
Bob

Gary Conklin
08-31-2010, 9:09 PM
Wow, did Steve version of the Mod tonight, so EASY. Steve you definitely got the EASY button out for this one! Thanks!

Harvey Schneider
09-01-2010, 4:12 PM
I used the speed control in favor of the start/stop switch for the past four years with no obvious detrimental effects. The speed control pot will eventually wear out, but that will take a long time and is relatively easy to replace. The speed knob is not a part of the EVS drive.
I have seen threads on another forum that indicated the start/stop switch has problems after extended use (many cycles). This is a problem of the switch contacts which are not part of the EVS drive.
Both of the controls referred to above are mounted to the control panel. The EVS drive is on the back of the lathe.
Adding a remote start/stop switch relieves both of these potential, wear out, issues. If my cheap ($7) external switch eventually fails I will install a new one.
Harvey

Dale Bright
09-01-2010, 5:49 PM
I did a similar mod a while back. I extended the entire control box by adding some wire with lugs and wire nuts. I have since mounted it onto a block of wood with magnets so I can position it anywhere I need to. You can get the schematic of the 1642 wiring on the Jet web site. Here is a link to a post about the switch with some photos.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=130675

Dale

Bob Aumock
09-04-2010, 9:20 AM
Thanks guys for the good info . The weather should start getting cooler here, so I can get back to my novice turning(in the garage). The heat this summer has been a BEAR in my part of NC this summer, tried turnning a couple times but was too unbearable,not enjoyable with the oppressive heat. Will install a remote switch once I get back out there.

Bob