PDA

View Full Version : Gast 522 vacuum pump vanes source?

Alan Zenreich
08-28-2010, 2:18 PM
I just picked up a Gast 522 vacuum pump and one of the vanes is broken.

I know that some of our forum members have this pump, so I was wondering if you have a prefered vendor for a set of replacement vanes, or a complete service kit.

Thanks... working my way towards a vacuum chuck system.

Alan Zenreich
08-29-2010, 2:57 PM
Ok, I'm making this followup post because the thread was getting very lonely... 24 hours and no replies. So, even if it's just me talking to myself, this gets ride of the "0" in the replies column.

I also posted into another older thread I found last night... anyone else have thoughts about getting replacement vanes for this pump?

Thanks

Tony Wheeler
08-29-2010, 6:01 PM
I don't know how to change the vanes but I have this pump also and I beleive that you can contact Gast and get a vane rebuild kit anyway that is my plan if the need ever arises and It seem that I was told at oone time they are not costly hope this helps

Josh Bowman
08-29-2010, 8:00 PM
Alan, I'm sorry....I went to answer this and couldn't find my notes, I took when I called Gast about mine. Oddly, places like Macmaster Carr carry these. I found they went from $12 to $17 each. The pump is super easy to rebuild as you must already know. Just remove the 6 head bolts, no gasket and the vanes just come out. Gast's tech support is great.....so great that it's hard to get through! I have unlimited long distance and found I waited about 15 minutes on hold. But they are full of information. The notes I wanted had the part number for the vanes. I just Googled the part number and was surprised to find out how many places carry them. However the price didn't get as cheap as I wished. $68 bucks for 4 vanes is a little high, but for getting a rebuilt pump, I guess it's really not that bad.:D

Joshua Dinerstein
08-30-2010, 11:55 AM
While it doesn't really help you this was one of the reasons that i went with a new HF vac pump. I got it for about $68 and it works great. I had seen so many get a used pump and have it have something wrong that I figured I would get one that was essential replaceable in it's entirety for the price of a repair kit for a real one.

If I was a pro and using it daily I would have gone a different route but I am FAR from a pro and for the little use I give it I think it will last a lifetime. :)

Joshua

Alan Zenreich
08-30-2010, 2:01 PM
Thanks all, I found an online source for individual vanes ($17 per vane... I ordered 2, just to keep one around as a spare).

Josh, I considered a HF unit, but I came across this 110v unit in a nearby town for $40.

So considering it had been attached to a photolithography camera since 1974 and the only problem was with one vane, I thought it prudent to purchase it and get the replacement part.

Maybe it will last another 36 years <vbg>

Alan Zenreich
09-03-2010, 5:12 PM
The vanes came in today... trivial installation. The pump sucks! (a good thing)

I just pulled the trigger on fittings for my lathe... JT Turning Tools.

I ordered the oversize handwheel for my Nova DVR XP, a vacuum adaptor that plugs into the handwheel, a vacuum kit (manifold, hose, filter and connectors), and their lovely chuck hub (uses 2" pvc inserts to create chucks)

I should get all the new toys next week. Tom at JT was a pleasure to talk with on the phone

Joshua Dinerstein
09-03-2010, 5:15 PM
Maybe it will last another 36 years <vbg>
Sweet. One thing I am certain of is that my HF vacuum pump isn't going to last that long. :)

But I bought it to be somewhat disposable so I am happy. I am just glad that you are too.

Joshua

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2010, 10:47 PM
I bought the system from Tom and he is a great guy to work with. Very knowledgeable on Vac pumps.

Bob Bergstrom
09-03-2010, 10:53 PM
I bought the kit and it is top notch. Another +1 for working with Tom