PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple Hollow Form

Harvey Schneider
08-28-2010, 1:38 PM
This isn't my first hollow form, but it is certainly the most difficult that I have taken on.
My focus is on skill development, so my only concession to specialty tools on this is the use of a swan neck scraper to reach inside the top shoulder. I understand that there are lots of clever tools that would have made this much easier. I believe that it is better for me to master the skills first rather than rely on tooling that makes it possible to get the results without the judgement that comes from experience.
The dimensions of this piece are 7" diameter by 2.5" height including the foot. The inside finish is still not to my satisfaction, but the walls were getting too thin (less than 1/8") so I decided that it was better to stop with the piece intact.
As always comment and critique are welcomed.
Harvey in Southbury, CT

David DeCristoforo
08-28-2010, 1:47 PM
Nice looking piece. I have found that hollowing forms with deep, almost horizontal undercuts ate not "the easiest", especially with hand held tools. BTW, I love the "racing stripe"!

Ken Glass
08-28-2010, 2:09 PM
Harvey,
There is nothing wrong with that HF. I like the quilting shown in the third picture. Well done on keeping the thickness even throughout and down to 1/8". We always seem to learn on every piece we do. Great form also.

Tom Sherman
08-28-2010, 2:15 PM
that's a great hollow form Harvey and the wood ain't bad either.

David E Keller
08-28-2010, 2:47 PM
I think it looks great. The far reach under the shoulder in that type of form is pretty challenging for me especially if the opening is small.

John Keeton
08-28-2010, 3:26 PM
Very well done, nice form, beautiful finish, and I like the detailing on the foot. Really nice piece of wood, too.

James Roberts
08-28-2010, 4:01 PM
Very nice HF Harvey, you've done well for yourself.

Robert McGowen
08-28-2010, 7:12 PM
Great job, Harvey! I think that you did yourself proud, especially without using specialty tools. Since you asked, I would have done away with the flat area on top and made it a more continuous curve to the mouth of the form, but that is just me.

John Hart
08-28-2010, 7:26 PM
Nice job Harvey!! I agree that folks should get in there and feel their way with a hand-held swan neck or hook-type scraper and get intimate with that under-cut of the shoulder. It's actually a good feeling....'cept when you smack yourself in the face with your handle. :rolleyes:

But even though I have a Nyvall captured rig, I still do my shoulders with the Ugly Stick (homemade)

Jon Lanier
08-28-2010, 7:44 PM
I think it looks great. Currently the only was I can do any HF is with a hand held swan neck. It can be an adventure.

Andy Hoyt
08-28-2010, 8:59 PM
.... Ugly Stick ... Aw man! Now that brings up good memories!

Whoops, almost forgot. Nice work, Harvey. This is one of my more favored forms.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-28-2010, 9:17 PM
They aren't easy Harvey, but you did very well, nice job ;-))

John Hart
08-28-2010, 9:19 PM
Aw man! Now that brings up good memories!

Whoops, almost forgot. Nice work, Harvey. This is one of my more favored forms.

Yup...Good Times. And when I use the Ugly Stick...all those memories come back. I'll never get rid of it.:)

Frank Van Atta
08-28-2010, 9:31 PM
A beautiful form; one of my favorites. These look a lot simpler to do than they really are.

Bernie Weishapl
08-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Great looking piece Harvey. Really nice simple form and finish looks great.

Baxter Smith
08-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Looks good!

Michael James
08-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Harvey,
I like this form, and because most of the pieces I get at WC are 2 or 3 x 6x6 it seems a natural. I like you, am working on getting those shouders and the rest of the interior down...but I have not gotten as uniformly thin as you were able to! Practice, practice...
Thanks for posting... that is a nice chunk of wood too!
michael

Steve Schlumpf
08-29-2010, 12:16 AM
Nice work and on a fairly difficult form! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Harvey,

A classic form.....nicely done....I really like the wood. The grain pattern is varies with some regularity. The finish is nice.

If I was grading it ....an A.

Nicely done sir!

Curt Fuller
08-29-2010, 12:51 PM
That's a very nice form and it looks like you got a good grasp on the hollowing technique. I also hollowed for the last 6 or 7 years using a swan neck tool and various homemade hand held hollowers. And I agree it's best to learn first how to do it by hand. But having just gotten a Nyvall captured system, it is a lot easier on the old body.