PDA

View Full Version : Outside projects

dougj1715
04-06-2003, 9:19 AM
Is glue needed for outdoor projects such as benches and chairs?

Todd Burch
04-06-2003, 10:03 AM
Typically, yes. On projects like picnic tables or porch swings, you can get by with carragige bolts or machine screws and nuts. On those items, perhaps like a bench, if you employ joinery such as wedged thru tenons, glue is not really needed. However, wetting, drying, rewetting, etc., is hard on joints and over time, things will loosen up.

There have been a lot of chairs made over the ages that were assembled green and never saw a drop of glue too, but that process is also a specific one, relying on certain moisture contents of the different parts, and leveraging the shrinkage of wood for tight fitting joints.

Kevin Gerstenecker
04-06-2003, 12:05 PM
I have always glued up all joints on Outdoor Projects. I use Titebond Exterior Glue, and have had good results with it. There is nothing more annoying than putting hard work into an outdoor project and having it become "loose" over time. It only takes a minute to glue a joint, and it is good insurance in the long run.

Jim Izat
04-06-2003, 12:18 PM
Next outdoor project I do I'm gonna try Gorilla glue on it. Supposedly it's pretty much weather proof.

Jim

John Wadsworth
04-06-2003, 5:37 PM
Just a reminder that when designing for outdoor use it's sometimes possible to avoid the glue/no-glue dilemma by using a special joint like a tusked tenon that's strong mechanically without glue.

Another observation: I have a bunch of teak outdoor stuff that's doweled together and hasn't shown any sign of coming apart in many years of hard usage and tough weather here in the Catskills. (Bought it as kits, so I know there's no glue in those joints).