PDA

View Full Version : Firewood??? I think not

Stephen Walker
08-28-2010, 11:45 AM
A friend of mine knew that I heated with wood, and asked if I wanted some maple from a tree he was taking down. Not being one to pass up free wood I went over to get it and this is what I found. This piece is about 35"x28"x 20" thick. I also grabbed 14 more that were 14" to 18" dia. by 16" long. How'd I do?

John Keeton
08-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Looks like you did OK to me!!!!!:D:D:D That is going to make some fine looking turnings!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-28-2010, 11:53 AM
There are few reasons that I would want to move back east. This is one of them! I can't wait to see what you turn from that piece of wood. The projects should be stunning!

Stephen Walker
08-28-2010, 11:55 AM
I did split one of the pieces, and this is the inside.

David Woodruff
08-28-2010, 11:56 AM
You get an A++++. Beautiful wood. I had a similar experience and the pieces did not lack for spalt figure. Make certain these chunks are in a dry place. This is spalting well advanced and will continue to decay at a rapid rate. Rough turn and hollow as quick as possible. If left outside on the ground within 6 months they will not even be good firewood. Maple due to the sugars really decays fast once started. I have occasionally placed the wood under plastic and threw in a Methyl Bromide spray bomb, kills everything. If you can not find Methyl Bromide purchase the product that tobacco farmers use to sterilize their plots prior to seeding. Same thing, kills all bugs, fungi, bacteria, etc. Then rapidly dissipates, no residue, harmless . Just follow the instructions.

bob svoboda
08-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Nice score-way to go.

David E Keller
08-28-2010, 12:03 PM
That's a pretty good gloat. Curly ambrosia maple... Hmmm?... Yep, you suck!:D

David DeCristoforo
08-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Well, I don't know. Only fourteen pieces? Free? Sounds like you got ripped off to me...

Steve Schlumpf
08-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Very impressive score! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Stephen Walker
08-28-2010, 12:13 PM
That's a pretty good gloat. Curly ambrosia maple... Hmmm?... Yep, you suck!:D
David,
Maybe I'll use this picture as my avatar so you can always see it. I have family in the Piedmont area, next time they're here or I go there, I'll make sure you get a chunk.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-28-2010, 12:44 PM
David,
Maybe I'll use this picture as my avatar so you can always see it. I have family in the Piedmont area, next time they're here or I go there, I'll make sure you get a chunk.

Idaho is enroute to Oklahoma Stephen......:rolleyes::D

Stephen Walker
08-28-2010, 12:51 PM
I guess if I went the long way......

might have to keep the postal service in business instead.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-28-2010, 12:52 PM
I guess if I went the long way......

might have to keep the postal service in business instead.

Look at it as the "scenic" way.;)

Pete Jordan
08-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Pretty,pretty, good!

David E Keller
08-28-2010, 2:56 PM
Look at it as the "scenic" way.;)

Every way is the scenic way to this part of the country... I'm fairly certain I live in one of the ugliest places in America.

It's gorgeous wood, Stephen, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it. I actually missed the part where you mentioned that you got 14 pieces... definite suckage!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
08-28-2010, 3:23 PM
David,

I have a sister and her family in Yukon.

My little brother just moved back to Wyoming from 10 years in Stillwater pursuing his degree, graduating and working.

Ken Glass
08-28-2010, 3:28 PM
Stephen,
Excellent score. That is primo stuff. I Love the look of turnings from Ambrosia Maple. As said get it into blanks and/or seal the ends and try to kill any bugs that might be present.

Robert Arrowood
08-28-2010, 4:25 PM
OH NO!!!!You have to send it to me ASAP!You don't want to take a chance that that fungus will spread.I'll take care of it for you.

John Hart
08-28-2010, 6:46 PM
OH NO!!!!You have to send it to me ASAP!You don't want to take a chance that that fungus will spread.I'll take care of it for you.

It's not fungus Robert...It's bug poop.:eek:

OH NO!!!!You have to send it to me ASAP! You don't want to take a chance that that bug poop will spread. I'll take care of it for you! :)

David Woodruff
08-28-2010, 7:11 PM
David,

I did not notice which David you meant, but you bet I would love a piece or two, one vertical, one horizontal. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bernie Weishapl
08-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Congrats on a impressive score. Really nice looking wood.

Baxter Smith
08-28-2010, 10:33 PM
That is some great looking wood!

Ray Bell
08-28-2010, 11:07 PM

And after you make it to Idaho, Washington is just right next door:D