PDA

View Full Version : My Garage Shop

Gordon Eyre
08-28-2010, 11:31 AM
I am a new member here at Sawmill Creek and wanted to share my shop with you. Unfortunately I am relegated to 1/2 of a three car garage. It is a little crowded; however, with the best arrangement of my machines I am able to function well. You will note that I have a full dust collection system that I installed before cranking up the shop. For my planer I move the stand out into the center between my workbench and my tablesaw. I unhook my dust collector feed from my router table and route it overhead and connect it to my planer. This will sort of explain why I have such a long feed into my router table. A little bothersome but it works. On my workbench I have a dust collection port that connects to my two palm sanders. Not perfect but it does eliminate most of the sanding dust. I also have a port that goes to a floor sweep input so that I can just sweep the sawdust from the floor to this port.I have worked in this shop for six years and feel that the setup is the best arrangement I could work out.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=406&pictureid=3864

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=406&pictureid=3865

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=406&pictureid=3863

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=406&pictureid=3862

Ken Fitzgerald
08-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Gordon,

It looks like you have a thoughtfully layed out shop that would function well!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Jim O'Dell
08-28-2010, 12:09 PM
I agreee! Great job on the ducting too...that looks very professional!
Question: In the alcove on the wall the storage cabinets are on, are those water heaters? Almost looked like single stage dust collectors, but I see you have a cyclone, so they can't be that. Jim.

Gordon Eyre
08-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Gordon,

It looks like you have a thoughtfully layed out shop that would function well!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Thanks Ken, it is probably the only woodshop I will ever have so I have to make it work.

Paul McGaha
08-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Hi Gordon,

Love the shop. Looks to be well laid out and equipped. Looks very clean also. Looks to me to be a great place to work.

I have a garage shop also. It's laid out completely different from yours though. I have a project I'm just finishing and once it's done and out of the way I'll clean the shop and post some pictures.

I wish more guys would post pictures of their shops. Maybe borrow an idea once in a while.

PHM

gary Zimmel
08-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Sweet set up Gordon.. Looks well thought out.
Thanks for giving us a look see.

Gordon Eyre
08-28-2010, 12:45 PM
I agreee! Great job on the ducting too...that looks very professional!
Question: In the alcove on the wall the storage cabinets are on, are those water heaters? Almost looked like single stage dust collectors, but I see you have a cyclone, so they can't be that. Jim.

Thanks for the compliments Jim. The two Grey units that you see are indeed water heaters. I have a large family and when they visit I need two heaters.
My wife's car gets the one stall and my car is relegated to a carport I built on the side of the 3 car garage.

Gordon Eyre
08-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Hi Gordon,

Love the shop. Looks to be well laid out and equipped. Looks very clean also. Looks to me to be a great place to work.

I have a garage shop also. It's laid out completely different from yours though. I have a project I'm just finishing and once it's done and out of the way I'll clean the shop and post some pictures.

I wish more guys would post pictures of their shops. Maybe borrow an idea once in a while.

PHM

Look forward to seeing pictures of your shop Paul. Thanks for taking the time to comment on mine.

Sweet set up Gordon.. Looks well thought out.
Thanks for giving us a look see.

Thanks Gary, appreciate it.

Dave MacArthur
08-29-2010, 1:46 AM
Welcome!
Thanks for posting your shop, I also am in "half" of a 3-car garage, although currently I've spread to 100% of it. So was interested in how you're fit in there, nice setup!

Gordon Eyre
08-29-2010, 9:08 AM
Dave, if I spread to the full 100% of the garage I would have to move a small bed out there because I would not be sleeping in the house. :D

Thanks for your comments.

Mike Cruz
08-29-2010, 10:05 AM
I have to agree, looks very well thought out. Nice to see you have such a good DC system. You should be proud of it.

glenn bradley
08-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Great space Gordon. Thanks for sharing. I have my cyclone tucked next to the garage door rails as well. Great spot but I couldn't shoe horn in the 3HP so went with the 2HP. Its been great. I also run the scroll saw. Best unit I could find for less than the cost of a good bandsaw ;). I am sure you spend a lot of enjoyable time in that shop. Thanks for showing us around.

Gordon Eyre
08-29-2010, 2:53 PM
I have to agree, looks very well thought out. Nice to see you have such a good DC system. You should be proud of it.

Hey Mike thanks for the compliment. I worked hard at installing the dust collector and all joints are riveted. It works great and sure helps in keeping the garage clean.

Great space Gordon. Thanks for sharing. I have my cyclone tucked next to the garage door rails as well. Great spot but I couldn't shoe horn in the 3HP so went with the 2HP. Its been great. I also run the scroll saw. Best unit I could find for less than the cost of a good bandsaw ;). I am sure you spend a lot of enjoyable time in that shop. Thanks for showing us around.

Mine is a 2 HP unit as well and works very well. Course I only open one or two blast gates at a time but this does not pose a problem for me. I have a Long Ranger remote on/off switch and sure glad that I got one.

Clint Olver
08-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Nice shop Gordon! The DC system is especially impressive. Love the pics!

Someone should start a "Let's see your shop!" thread to have a collection of all the different shops. I'm always looking at others' shops for ideas to improve my own.... and to oggle the equipment.

C

Shawn Christ
08-29-2010, 11:14 PM
I think you are a shoe-in for the cleanest shop award. ;)

Very nice - thanks for sharing.

Don Alexander
08-29-2010, 11:53 PM
i only wish i had half of a 3 car garage to use :(

your well setup shop makes my 12x12 converted shed look pretty small

Phil Thien
08-29-2010, 11:59 PM
Nice shop!

I'd understand using 1/3 of a three car garage (so there is still room for two cars). And I'd understand 2/3 of a three car garage (room for one car).

But why 1/2? Why not just stretch to 2/3?

Bud Millis
08-30-2010, 12:56 AM
very nice - lots of light.

Dave MacArthur
08-30-2010, 3:53 AM
LOL, leave it to Phil Thien to think like an engineer! "That glass in not half full or half empty! The glass is over-engineered by 100%!"

Gordon Eyre
08-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Nice shop Gordon! The DC system is especially impressive. Love the pics!

Someone should start a "Let's see your shop!" thread to have a collection of all the different shops. I'm always looking at others' shops for ideas to improve my own.... and to oggle the equipment.

C

Thanks Clint, I worked hard on the install of my DC system and take that as a definite compliment.

I think you are a shoe-in for the cleanest shop award. ;)

Very nice - thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much Shawn. Course a lot of the credit goes to my wife as I know she would be sorely disappointed if I let the shop get too cluttered and dirty. A happy wife is a blessing in the home. ;)

Jack Burgess
11-19-2010, 7:23 AM
Gordon (or anyone else) I am really stumped. Gordon you shop is great - and I am in real trouble in my situation. Need help. I have read everthing but still no certain what to do in my space. Confused I guess.
I have 26 feet long, 8 feet wide (1/2 of a 2-car garage) and I have a mess. Looking to close in with a floating wall. Trying to collect dust at machines but nothing works yet for band saw and drill press. Have 2 5 hp protable vac that I am using - but dust is everywhere. If garage door is open - air filter would be wortless - right ? If had one where would I mount it - closer to door or in back of where I work on the ceiling of the long space ? I have wall cabinets above counter cabinets - not much room left for duct tubing - also what size my vacs has 2 1/2 hoses. everything I see in stores is 4". As you can see I am really not sure which way to go. Actually thinking about putting up wall, removing single double car overhead and installing TWO single garage doors - wife wil NOT give up her side for car @! and really complaining about dust. Any recommendation about sincerely appreciated.

keith jensen
11-19-2010, 9:25 AM
The shop looks great! It's funny because just last night my wife commented on how my shop was cluttered. This was after I thought I did a pretty good job of semi-organizing things too!!

Jack, I have a two car garage that I work out of. My neighbor does woodworking out of his basement and thinks I'm nuts for not putting the shop in the basement. A single car garage would be way too tight if I built the walls, etc. I think you are better off just pulling her car out when you work and back in when you are done. That is what I do...mostly (sometimes the car might sleep outside once in a while). It also gives me more room to move things around when working. You might be able to get a hanging curtain on a track too but that is not going to keep all of the dust out.

Sam Layton
11-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Hi Gordon,

You have a great looking shop. I wish I could keep my shop as clean and neat looking as you do.

Great job, Sam

eugene thomas
11-19-2010, 9:26 PM
nice shop. ya sure ya make any sawdust in it. looks like could pass white glove inspection.

Doug Carpenter
11-20-2010, 8:40 AM
Nice shop Gordon.

I'm sure I speak for many of us when I say the reason I haven't thought of taking pictures of my garage shop is that I consider it a work in progress and figured I would take pictures after I get it like I want it. trouble is it may never really be there.

I have a two car garage. In the winter I make room for my wife's car. she doesn't seem to care either way but I can't stand the thought of her scraping snow offf her car at 3 or 4 in the morning. This year she is really going to get spoiled because now that I have heat she will be getting into a warm car.

I'm with you Gordon....Happy wife happy life.:cool: