PDA

View Full Version : Cross grain power planeing

Jim Finn
08-28-2010, 10:41 AM
As an expirement I ran a glue up of oak through my DeWalt planer with the grain running the wrong way (Across). It planed out perfectly and I used the piece in a project.
The problem I had was ,the "Chips" that went through my Dust Collection system were not chips at all. They were 8" strings of oak. Pluged up the system with what looked like bird nests. I am sure glad I did not run my Dust Collection piping under floor. Overhead, it was easy to take apart and clean out. So ... No I will not do any cross grain planing again.

Dave Gaul
08-31-2010, 11:16 AM
Jim, just had the same experience last week!! I cross-grain planed a panel that was too wide for my planer, but it's lenth was short enough to fit cross-grain... it filled my Thien seperator chamber with the shavings you mention... can't say I won't do it again, just have to remember to clean out the seperator afterwards!

Eiji Fuller
08-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Ive done some cross grain planeing too. The surface wasnt as good as going the correct direction but I had no choice. I experience the same long shavings. Ive since switched the head to a spiral cutter with indexed carbide tips. I wonder if the shavings would be broken up by the spiral head....