PDA

View Full Version : Disston domed saw nuts

Deane Allinson
08-28-2010, 10:00 AM
I have an old 12 point Disston #12 that I would like to restore. It is missing all 4 of the saw nuts and screws. This is a “one son” Disston that had the domed or cone shaped screws. Does anyone have one that they could loan me to reproduce a set for my saw? Or accurate dimensions and description, that I could draw up in AutoCAD? It will an excellent user. Not much collector value with it since it was “professionally skewed” early in its life. I think that the skew backs came out a few years after the saw was made and long before the 112’s. Any help would be appreciated. I hate to remove the tote and cut through the current rivets before I have replacements.

Erik Manchester
08-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Deanne,

Just an observation but as you indicate that the saw will not have any collector value given the skew mod, why not just use a set of later sawnuts that can be picked up at almost any yard sale on a donor saw for a few dollars? They will look just as nice the domed nuts once installed and will likely be much easier to find.

Erik

george wilson
08-29-2010, 1:32 PM
I once had an old Spear & Jackson English made saw that had those tall nuts. They don't seem very practical to me. When you lay the saw down,you have to be careful not to hurt anything with them.

Deane Allinson
08-29-2010, 6:05 PM
picked up at almost any yard sale on a donor saw for a few dollars? They will look just as nice the domed nuts once installed and will likely be much easier to find.

Erik[/QUOTE]

Good question. I have several donor saws, screws and nuts, but after all, I'm the type that rips a board with a handsaw. I design and build my own furniture with solid wood by hand. Costly, time consuming, and for most people impractical.
I like the saw. It is fine toothed, straight, nice heft, quality steel, 140 years old. I like the look of the original nuts and screws with no medallion, they go well with the handle. The current machine screws and rivets are working, but I don't like their "looks". It is not as self indulgent as the gaboon ebony and persimmon marking gage that I made for myself. I have an English one that is easier to use and works better but I don't like it.
Deane