PDA

View Full Version : Wood I.D. and what took me away from Turning for a few Months

Ken Glass
08-28-2010, 9:38 AM
Hey Gang,
Please help me identify this wood, LOL. I just wanted to show you what has kept my attention the last several months from turning. In the background you might be able to see my MGB Engine. I recently finished rebuilding it and and repainted the Bay and added some performance parts. Note under the wood, the new custom aluminum radiator. The Carb's are twin SU HS4's. Oh yeah, the wood might be Brazilian Ipe? I know this is a shameful breach of forum rules, but I sure needed that wood identified and the MG project seemed like a reasonable backdrop. The engine would not fit in the photo tent.

Michael James
08-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Wood? what wood?? boyz n their toys. :cool:

Ken Glass
08-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Michael,
More like, old men and their toys, in my case. Nothing like hitting the scenic roads of the good old USA in a convertible sports car. It is good to get back to Turning and this forum though.

Bernie Weishapl
08-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Looks good Ken.

My grandmother told me before she passed that the only difference between old men and boys is the "Price" of their toys.:D;):rolleyes:

David DeCristoforo
08-28-2010, 11:44 AM
OK, now that's "bitchin"! Please post some pics of the rest of the ride!

As to the wood, I had a friend who imported some wood from Honduras. He lived there for about ten years managing banana plantations for Dole. He was told so many times, "Oh, that's granadillo" when he inquired as to the species of a certain wood that we decided that "granadillo" must be Spanish for "Who the hell knows?!?" So I suggest that what you have there is a piece of granadillo.

Ken Glass
08-28-2010, 11:54 AM
David,
I have already pushed the envelope on forum rules, so unless a moderator pipes in and gives permission, I had better not. Second one was before rebuild and with my Granddaughter. Third picture is a trim Kit I make out of Red Oak and sell for the luggage rack's on MGB's.

bob svoboda
08-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Nice ride, and cars like that always attract the pretty girls!

David DeCristoforo
08-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Sweeeeeeeet!!!

David E Keller
08-28-2010, 3:00 PM
Pretty sure the gearshift knob is wooden and turned, so I think this qualifies.

Ken Glass
08-28-2010, 3:16 PM
David,
Thanks. Yes, I turned it from Zebra Wood. I need to find a larger piece of it to make a cup holder out of.

James Roberts
08-28-2010, 4:05 PM
Well played, Ken. I say if you can turn the steering wheel it counts!:D