PDA

View Full Version : What is "enhanced vector mode" ?

David Fairfield
08-28-2010, 9:12 AM
I read something in ULS literature about "enhanced vector mode" but it wasn't clear to me what it means. Would somebody care to explain or elaborate? Thanks!

Dave

Scott Shepherd
08-28-2010, 9:23 AM
From the manual :

"The printer driver collects all the vectors from the application software and reconstructs them (so to speak) by removing start and stop points within the vector curves so that they run smoother with less jitter. It has no effect on straight, horizontal or vertical, lines."

David Fairfield
08-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Cool. Do you see good results?

Epilog curves can be jittery, unless they are slowed down. If a smooth curve is important, and the rest of the vectors are going at a high speed, I color map the curves and assign a lower speed. Call it a "redneck enhanced vector." :)

Dave

Scott Shepherd
08-28-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't know David, I've almost always used it with it "on", so I'm not sure how it compares to the same object with it off.

I turn it off for a couple of jobs, but for odd reasons that take too much typing to explain, but I've never compared the same job with and without it.

David Fairfield
08-28-2010, 12:02 PM
I've checked out some work done on a ULS and the first thing I noticed, and the thing that impressed me the most, was the curves are nice and smooth without visible tremors. If that is something that can be dealt with automatically through the driver, Epilog should really look into it.

Dave

Kevin Groenke
08-29-2010, 10:17 PM
I presume that this is the same or related to "vector optimization" on the x series driver.

If it is, we've found that it's great for smoothing curves, dealing with splines and generally cutting "curvy" files ... BUT... we've also found that it speeds everything up a lot and can contribute to square corners being very "squiggly". This is especially apparent on high-speed, vector etching with mixed line types such as topographic maps with building outlines and floor plans with text(most of our use). Our default is to have it off, but point it out to folks who are cutting files that may benefit from having it on.

-kg

Pete Bejmuk
09-22-2010, 12:48 AM
first time poster, long time lurker

on my (ancient) ULS PS-50, turning *off* the vector optimization (same thing, just different name on older driver) makes vector cuts cut in the direction that you draw them in Corel - so if you draw a vector line from left to right, it'll cut that way. having it on makes ALL vector lines draw in whatever direction/order the driver thinks is most "optimized".

helpful to avoid melting or scorching on certain materials, like on corners or cuts that are really close together.

that said, having it off also makes curves a little more jaggy. Having it on seems to reduces the nodes in a curve.