PDA

View Full Version : question on my jet 1442

Jim Reasoner
12-12-2004, 8:46 PM
I just acquired this lathe and my problem is this. On bowls,when the lathe is set at high speed, I cannot get the tool close into the bowl next the faceplate. The speed handle is in the way. The tool rest is ok but the speed handle interferes with movement of the turning tool. Anyone else with a 1442 have this problem and if so, is there any fix for it? Can the speed adjustment handle be re-oriented to point down instead of up.
Jim Reasoner

Jack Hogoboom
12-12-2004, 8:52 PM
Jim,

How fast do you have that thing spinning? I have a 1442 and have turned a fairly good sized bowl or two. I have never had any problem with the speed adjustment handle getting in the way.

Is it possible you are going too fast??

Jack

Jim Becker
12-12-2004, 9:12 PM
The solution is to learn various ways how to reverse your turning so that you're always cutting away from your faceplate or if you want to turn the whole thing without reversing, use a sacrificial glue block that you can complete the bottom 1/4 or so of the outer profile after hollowing and then under cut and part off the bowl.

I start bowls between centers, develop the entire outer profile including putting a tennon on the bottom (or a foot for a faceplate) before reversing onto the chuck or faceplate. This keeps all the cutting coming from the tailstock end.

Gary Max
12-12-2004, 9:13 PM
Jack I just read your post and that sounds right. Why would you need high speed--bowl--tool rest at the same time. If I am turning a bowl of any size-- it ain't ever going to see high rpm's.