PDA

View Full Version : FedEx Shipping Question

Mike Null
08-28-2010, 8:05 AM
I am tempted to put this in the off topic forum and if any of the mods feel it belongs there please make the move.

Does anybody know if there is a way to get the shipping cost per package at the time you are creating the shipping label for FedEx? (without reentering the zips and weight)

I know I can do it with Quickbooks but don't trust the rates they give. I'm using QB 2007.

I need to bill my customer as near to actual shipping as I can at the time I invoice the shipment and it looks like there may be enough shipments to justify an automated method. ( I am functioning as a fulfillment house for one national customer)

Mitchell Andrus
08-28-2010, 9:30 AM
I use Fed Ex Ground for my websites. As the customer fills in city and zip the software transmits package info that's been generated by my store based on the shopping cart's contents. Fed Ex returns the real-time rate.

You can do the same for ground and express manually at:

http://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en&locId=express

I'd bet there are tools out there that allow you to store packages of various sizes that you then use to poll the various shippers (including freight) for on-the-spot rates. Keep in mind that UPS sets rules that dis-allow stores to show their rates and others', including USPS's, on the same screen.

One third party software vendor is Structured Solutions. Andy knows shipping integration like nobody else on the planet. He'll help if there's a way.

http://structured-solutions.net/

Mike Null
08-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Thank you for the links. I use the rate finder but it involves entering info on the label and again on the rate finder. QB is a little better but there are some disadvantages to QB.

I usually charge a rate based on the dollar amount of the sale but in this case I have agreed to charge actual cost.

pete hagan
08-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Do not use QB shipping option if you already have a discounted FedEx account. I use FedEx Ground exclusively for ground shipments and have a discount rate from my sales person which is automatically applied when I generate the shipping label. I did use the QB integration for many months until I realized that there is an upcharge built into QB processing and I was not getting the same rate for the exact same packages to the same clients. (Tested this and it was near 10%). That really made me unhappy as I really liked doing the shipping and billing ALL in QB.

To answer your question if you process your shipment online through the FedEx site signing in under your account number you can get the exact rate for the packages. The option is under Rates & Transit Times which is in the lower thirds on the right side of your screen. I have attached an image which shows how you can see your breakdown on a sample shipment. If you don’t have an account or pay by CC for each shipment I would strongly suggest that you call FedEx and get one. I save at least 15% from normal rates for ground and over 25% for express shipment.

The only issue here is that you have to do both tasks at the same time, generate the invoice and create shipping label in order to put the exact shipping costs on the invoice.

Mike Null
08-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Pete

I've been a FedEx customer for years and do my own labels and get the discount but I can't get the screen that you're showing to open.

Another problem with QB is that you can't track through the FedEx site so I'm told.

Bill Stein
08-29-2010, 10:43 AM
You, your customer, or anybody else for that matter can track the package through the FedEx site as long as they have the label number. But you do have to manually enter the tracking number as the FedEx site doesn't have a record of shipments made through QB. You can also track it through QB by just clicking on the tracking number since QB has a history of shipments made through it.

Bill

Mitchell Andrus
08-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Pete

I've been a FedEx customer for years and do my own labels and get the discount but I can't get the screen that you're showing to open.

Another problem with QB is that you can't track through the FedEx site so I'm told.

Pete's showing a screen from Fed Ex.com, not Ship Manager. Fed Ex.com will get you to a screen where you can enter your shipper # so the discounted rate will show.

This is all far from fast and automated. Have you called Fed Ex about this. I have to believe there's an add-on available.

FE Ship Mgr will save a database of package sizes and a data base of customers.

Mike Null
08-31-2010, 6:56 AM
Mitch

I have now been able to get the rate without reentering the info but I'm going to follow your suggestion and give them a call. I think there is a better way that'll save some time.

Thanks.