PDA

View Full Version : Must Learn to Keep Mouth Closed

Jim Koepke
08-28-2010, 2:35 AM
This is just one of those things I have to learn while working at the lathe.

Chopping mortises.

Chopping with a hatchet or axe.

Especially with a chain saw.

Today after sharpening a blade and taking some pictures to write about setting up a plane, I was going full guns and breathing deep with my mouth open.

Stopped me dead in my tracks just as the camera delay exposure snapped.

Bleah!!!

jim

John Keeton
08-28-2010, 8:27 AM
Jim, glad to see you have switched to a 'high fiber' diet!!!:D Neat pic!

David Keller NC
08-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Jim - Huh? I'm thinking that the pic that shows up online has been cropped by the forum software (all I can see is a shaving coming out of the mouth of a plane).

Jim Koepke
08-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Actually that is the whole shot. The software shrinks the file size but I have never noticed it cropping the picture. I cropped this one a bit. It had a lot of stuff on either side and at the bottom.

I usually set up my shots to keep my face out of the image. Don't want to take any chances with breaking the camera.

jim

Bruce Page
08-28-2010, 1:03 PM
Now that's funny!

Joe McMahon
08-28-2010, 2:16 PM
Jim, I think this is taking that "roughage in your diet" prattle to a whole 'nother level- (One I don't want to go to!):eek::eek:;)

Joe

Rick Markham
08-28-2010, 7:52 PM
Jim, Is that considered a "galoot's dust collector?"... I think you have taken the whole neander thing one step too far!:p Those shavings either really fly out of your planes... either that or you must personally move some CFM... before anyone else makes the comment... "are you grounded or not?"

You should consider adding a second stage, It will make you easier to clean :D

Andrew Gibson
08-28-2010, 8:41 PM
Jim I think the solution is to stop showning off and take a thicker shaving.

Jim Koepke
08-28-2010, 8:52 PM
"are you grounded or not?"

Though both feet are firmly on the ground, my head is often floating above my current potential.

jim

Rick Markham
08-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Quite clever response Jim! Touche!

We often describe woods and their smells while we work... Jim will be describing them by flavor :D

Eric Brown
08-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Jim you obviously need a spice rack to complement your
new-found source of fiber. Perhaps you can also make
a spill plane and become decorative in your culinary
explorations. So tell us, does applewood taste like apple?
Do you use salt and pepper?

Eric

Joseph D'Orazio
08-29-2010, 10:11 AM
That was a good shot. Eric's question is a good one, does applewood taste like apple?

gary Zimmel
08-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Innovative way to keep the shop clean Jim...

Robert Nease
08-30-2010, 9:25 AM
I think you should consider a Phil Thien baffle for that setup, unless you really want to reply to the question about whether apple wood tastes like apple!