PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite

Jerry Marcantel
08-27-2010, 10:06 PM
In the last 2 weeks I've found a Tucson city staging area where downed trees are staged until they can get a truck load, then they send them to the dump. We're in monsoon season, and having some pretty good storms, so the city has been busy.. I've gotten permission to scavenge through and take what I want.. My question; Some of the bark has some big tears in it, and I've been stripping the rest of it off because of the dirt that has collected between the bark and wood. Do I have to seal the wood along with the end grain?????
If anyone wants any mesquite, pm me.. I'm collecting more than I'll ever use...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Robert McGowen
08-27-2010, 10:23 PM
My answer is "yes." I would go ahead and seal everything if it was stripped down to bare wood. It doesn't really take that long to do and might save some wood in the long run, especially as hot and dry as your area is.

David Hullum
08-28-2010, 9:36 AM
Mesquite is very stable. I seal all my wood just to be safe. But the green Mesquite that I have not sealed has never cracked. But I would seal it just to be safe I would hate to lose a good piece.

Ken Glass
08-28-2010, 9:41 AM
Jerry,
Seal it all, like you are Tom Sawyer white washing a fence. It won't hurt it and might save some small warpage.

Bernie Weishapl
08-28-2010, 11:19 AM
I would definitely seal it. I do have a piece that is around 2 yrs old that hasn't cracked but why take chances on some nice wood.