PDA

View Full Version : Paralam HF - something you don't see every day.

Mike Marmon
08-27-2010, 6:45 PM
Howdy All;
This is the last one for today. The material is called Paralam, it is a construction beam made out of cheap soft wood bound together by high pressure and epoxy. If you get the chance to turn any make sure that you wear gloves, the soft wood splinters off rather violently sometimes. You will also have to sharpen often as the epoxy wears down the edge pretty quickly. The collar is a piece of Cherry ebonized with transtint and DNA. It is about 8 inches wide by 5 inches high, with Danish oil on the Paralam and Waterlox on the collar.

Enjoy the weekend.
Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
08-27-2010, 7:00 PM
Nice form and very interesting material Mike. Are those holes that are going through the walls of the HF or are my old eyes seeing thing. I really think that grain pattern set by that material is interesting!

Tom Sherman
08-27-2010, 8:27 PM
Mike I have heard about this stuff before, and you are right all accounts are in agreement with you it is ruff stuff. You have done well with a great shape and finish.

charlie knighton
08-27-2010, 8:38 PM
very nice, where did you find this stuff???

David DeCristoforo
08-27-2010, 8:59 PM
Veeeery interesting.... Kinda takes "segmenting" to a whole 'nother level.

Paul Douglass
08-27-2010, 9:02 PM
Very nice, almost looks like cork.

David E Keller
08-27-2010, 9:28 PM
Nice work. I love the look of that material, and I like the form you've chosen.

Jerry Marcantel
08-27-2010, 9:54 PM
Wow, that's interesting stuff.... Looks like a ball of worms in the first picture.... Ya did good.... Jerry (in Tucson)

Ryan Baker
08-27-2010, 9:54 PM
I like it. I bet it was a rough ride doing the hollowing...

Mike Cruz
08-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Very cool. It looks like it has holes to me, too. Aaaaand, I also thought of cork when I saw it. Nice piece.

John Keeton
08-27-2010, 10:09 PM
I have worked with a little of that stuff in some construction projects, and you deserve a medal for this piece!!!

John Beaver
08-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Mike
Thanks for sharing. I have a couple blocks of that stuff and have been wondering what to do with them. I like what you did and Its interesting to see how yours turned out.

alex carey
08-28-2010, 4:28 AM
any chance of this stuff exploding like particle board?

brian watts
08-28-2010, 4:37 AM
WOW.. i bet it was hard to work with

Michelle Rich
08-28-2010, 6:29 AM
It's a shame we don't see this used more, even if it is a bear to turn..this is quite striking. I have seen the material used in smaller turnings, but never a hollowform that I recall. Good job

Don Leydens
08-28-2010, 8:20 AM
That's an impressive looking piece. Very different and well done. Going to keep an eye out for some of that stuff. Thanks for posting it!
Don L.

Chris Haas
08-28-2010, 11:23 AM
if anyone does come across some of this microlam or paralam (same stuff different names i've heard), it does look great turned, its completely stable, and when your tired of turning it, it makes great workbenches.

Really nice piece, i've been contemplating a platter, now i guess i have to do it.

James Roberts
08-28-2010, 4:28 PM
Wow, I love it! Great form and super job executing it in a difficult medium. It looks as if it could crumble just by staring at it too long.

John Hart
08-28-2010, 6:42 PM
Very cool. I had some of that left over from some construction on the house a few years ago....always wondered how it would turn.

Now I'm going to always wonder where that scrap piece is. :confused:

Bernie Weishapl
08-28-2010, 10:51 PM
That is one nice looking piece. I glued up some plywood a year or so ago. I turned a HF out of it and it looks cool but like you said wear gloves.

Steve Schlumpf
08-29-2010, 6:11 PM
Mike - that is really cool looking! I will agree with some of the others - first glance I thought it was cork! Neat grain pattern - will have to keep an eye out for some!

David Christopher
08-29-2010, 6:22 PM
Mike, that is one of the nicest HFs ive seen in a long time......great job

Jon McElwain
08-31-2010, 2:39 AM
I saw a bowl turned from paralam in one of the woodworking magazines a couple of years ago. I got a hold of a few pieces and turned it. Same comments you had, wear gloves, face shield, sharpen once every minute and a half, and hang on! The lathe I had at the time did not have a reverse turning feature, so sanding and finishing was nearly impossible. Given a reverse sanding, it might have had a chance. As it was, the bowls I turned were blah and were never allowed out of the shop! Thanks for the post.

Mike Marmon
08-31-2010, 8:06 PM
Hello;
Thank you all for the nice comments. To address some of the questions. What look like holes are where the wood chipped out and exposed the black epoxy. This thing is no where near fragile, I could probably stand on it.

The pieces that I have were found as scrap at construction sites. Along with being very tuff it can get heavy.

Cheers,
Mike