PDA

View Full Version : Small Lidded Hollow Form on a Stick

David DeCristoforo
08-27-2010, 6:30 PM
I was playing with some ideas for my rose myrtle hollow form.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=147069

The body of this thing is what I'm thinking about if I decide to turn the rose myrtle block "sideways". It's a bit of "leftover" maple (I always said there's no such thing as "scrap"!) and some small pieces of purple heart for the pedestal and lid/finial. Finish is "nuttin but wax".

brian watts
08-27-2010, 7:46 PM
WOW. like everything about it..

Roger Chandler
08-27-2010, 7:52 PM
Sounds like a plan, David. That is really very nice!

Tom Sherman
08-27-2010, 8:15 PM
Cool, I like this. Ya dun gud DD

John Keeton
08-27-2010, 10:17 PM
DD, that is spelled 'steeck' - as in Hollow Form on a Steeck!!:D Nice work, and I like the underside of the lid surprise.

David DeCristoforo
08-27-2010, 10:19 PM
"...that is spelled 'steeck'..."

Si

Bernie Weishapl
08-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Really nice piece David. I do like the under side of the finial.

Ken Glass
08-27-2010, 11:00 PM
David,
Great looking HF on a stick. I really like the color of the stick and the Finial. The HF has a great shape and the wood has super figure. Well Done.

David E Keller
08-28-2010, 1:03 AM
I like the shape of the main form. I'm looking forward to seeing that rose myrtle all done up like this.

Frank Van Atta
08-28-2010, 2:33 AM
I like it. I agree about the "scrap" - I've never seen a piece that couldn't be turned into a miniature or glued together with some fellow "scraps" to make some really interesting stuff or used for a jam chuck or waste block.

Some say, "Life's too short to turn bad wood." I say, "I've rarely seen any wood so bad that it couldn't be used for something."

William Hutchinson
08-28-2010, 6:01 AM
That came out really well. The child proof finial tip is becoming a DD signature. I like the pineapple shaped finial bottoms. With your rose myrtle, I suggest horizontal grain orientation turned translucent thin.

Michelle Rich
08-28-2010, 6:22 AM
I do so hope that we change turning terminology from this point forward...Finial / pedestal are rather stuffy words...Steeck is one of those words that is so descriptive that no one needs an explanation or definition. :-) and oh yes, as to the turning: SUPER

John Keeton
08-28-2010, 6:54 AM
I do so hope that we change turning terminology from this point forward...Finial / pedestal are rather stuffy words...Steeck is one of those words that is so descriptive that no one needs an explanation or definition. :-) and oh yes, as to the turning: SUPERSo, henceforth, is it 'upper steeck and lower steeck'??:p

David DeCristoforo
08-28-2010, 11:27 AM
"So, henceforth, is it 'upper steeck and lower steeck'??"

It's been some time since we had any "little ones" in our family. But we had some for many years and, as you may know. little ones have a way of very graphically describing common household items. For example, the remote control has been, for as long as I can remember, been referred to as "the button pusher". A toothpick has always been called "a picknail", a result of a little one seeing one being used for it's alternate purpose. With that in mind I would like to propose that a pedestal henceforth be called a "holder upper" and a finial a "sticker upper". Or a "steeker opper" if you prefer...

David DeCristoforo
08-28-2010, 11:30 AM
" I agree about the "scrap"...

I have always maintained that if it's useable, it's "inventory". If it's not useable, it's garbage.

David DeCristoforo
08-28-2010, 11:36 AM
"The child proof finial tip is becoming a DD signature..."

I have decided to call this the "Rose finial", so named for my lovely wife who expressed concern about the intimidating appearance of the sharply pointed tips.

Curt Fuller
08-28-2010, 1:22 PM
Heck of a pointy steeck! Doesn't matter if it's a hunnert dollar piece of some far off exotic or just a leftover piece in the pile, when you turn such a nice form it's priceless. And I gotta say I'm impressed with your skills and success turning purpleheart. That stuff is on my list of nasty stuff to avoid.

James Roberts
08-28-2010, 4:21 PM
Nice piece David, Jose Jalapeno would be proud.

David DeCristoforo
08-28-2010, 5:23 PM
"purpleheart...is on my list of nasty stuff to avoid..."

When I used to make a lot of chessboards, the "best sellers" were made of purple heart and satinwood. (Scroll down to the bottom of this page to see one. http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/chessdd/boards.html)
I really like this combination of woods and I am looking for some nice satinwood to combine with PH in some turned pieces. "Genuine" Ceylon satinwood is not that easy to find especially in thicker pieces. Most of what is sold as satinwood is just yellowheart which looks like yellow dyed pine.

John Hart
08-28-2010, 6:39 PM
Nuther beautiful piece David. I like the idea of this form for your myrtle stuff.

My favorite word from the kids in our house is for the Living Room. They called it the Lean Room. It stuck....We still call it that.

David E Keller
08-28-2010, 8:42 PM

When I used to make a lot of chessboards, the "best sellers" were made of purple heart and satinwood. (Scroll down to the bottom of this page to see one. http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/chessdd/boards.html)
I really like this combination of woods and I am looking for some nice satinwood to combine with PH in some turned pieces. "Genuine" Ceylon satinwood is not that easy to find especially in thicker pieces. Most of what is sold as satinwood is just yellowheart which looks like yellow dyed pine.

Gilmerwood has Ceylon satinwood in sizable pieces, but it ain't cheap!:eek:

John Hart
08-28-2010, 9:30 PM

I just spent a half hour drooling over your chessboards. Wow.

Baxter Smith
08-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Very nice!

gary Zimmel
08-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Another sweet piece David!