PDA

View Full Version : Maple bowl stuck in a plank

Mike Marmon
08-27-2010, 5:14 PM
This was a fun piece. It is made from spalted Maple, the size is roughly 10 X 9 X 2. I managed to keep the bark on, the cut ends have the texture left by the chain saw. It is finished with Waterlox.

I was showing this bowl to some friends the other day, and their 9 year old daughter says "It doesn't look like it is done!"

Enjoy,
Mike

John Keeton
08-27-2010, 5:30 PM
I think these type of bowls are neat, though I have never done one. You did a good job getting the placement correct on the upper/lower portions. The Waterlox made a nice finish for this piece.

Cathy Schaewe
08-27-2010, 6:08 PM
Very nice - my one attempt at one of those didn't go nearly so well.:( That looks great, and the wood is beautiful.

Tom Sherman
08-27-2010, 6:10 PM
Very nicely done Mike. I did one similar a while back my wife had the same reaction as your friends little girl. Good job.

Bernie Weishapl
08-27-2010, 6:26 PM
Really well done Mike. I have did a few and you have to be careful of the buzz saw.

Roger Chandler
08-27-2010, 6:29 PM
Way cool.........I'll have to do one of those just to be able to say that I have done it!

David DeCristoforo
08-27-2010, 6:36 PM
I really like these. Yours is especially nice because the bowl would have a very nice shape and stand on it's own just fine if it were "cut out" of the plank. You can kind of see the continuation of the bowl shape right through the edge of the plank. Lots of them don't have that kind of definition. I'm thinking that this is a somewhat difficult form to "pull off" but you have done it nicely.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-27-2010, 6:46 PM
Very nicely done Mike! Well balanced within the board and some really pretty wood. I like it.

I've only done one of those and I found myself chanting "No fingers beyond the toolrest....no fingers beyond the tool rest.":o

Nice project!

brian watts
08-27-2010, 7:43 PM
very nice. would like to do one of these some day

alex carey
08-28-2010, 4:23 AM
Beautiful bowl, I know exactly what your talking about, all too often someone says to me, why is there is hole in your vase, or, that bowl can't even hold anything.

William Hutchinson
08-28-2010, 6:18 AM
Interesting project with wood of great character, well done.

Michelle Rich
08-28-2010, 6:26 AM
the intro to this made it sound horrible..after waitng 3 minutes for the pictures to download(yep dial-up) I was amazed at how wonderful the piece was..It's really quite stunning and was worth waiting to see

Michael James
08-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Nice bowl, flows thru as has been mentioned, beautiful wood and finish. If waterlox looks that good on all wood, I need to get some! I made a little one of those a while back for the experience, and that's a little too exciting for me:eek:. Keep em coming!
mj

Harvey M. Taylor
08-28-2010, 10:47 AM
gonna hafta get my Bill Grumbine video out to see how that is 'did'.
Max

David E Keller
08-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Nicely done. I like the proportions on this piece. I like it.

James Roberts
08-28-2010, 4:37 PM
Very nice Mike, this is one of the things I would like to try as well and you've given me a goal to shoot for.

Thomas Bennett
08-29-2010, 9:27 AM
I was showing this bowl to some friends the other day, and their 9 year old daughter says "It doesn't look like it is done!"

Enjoy,
Mike
Nice bowl and excellent craftsmanship. I, also, like the comment by the nine year old. She probably won't forget seeing it.

Steve Schlumpf
08-29-2010, 6:03 PM
Looks really good to me! Beautiful wood - winning form and finish! I love the comment from the 9 year old! Thanks for sharing!

Donny Lawson
08-29-2010, 6:41 PM
Very nice, I've always wanted to make one.Might have to give it a try when I get my shop back together.
Donny