PDA

View Full Version : User or Collector?

Mark Stutz
12-12-2004, 4:37 PM
I'm starting to feel bad about asking so many questions, but someday I might have enough experience to answer a few! :D

Yesterday, during my Sat. travels...you know, cleaners, Big Box, grocery, etc. I stopped by a nearby antique store. I know, I know,...I've got it bad. :eek: It's like Pavlov's dog...if you ever find even 1 item some time in the past, you keep going back. Weeeelllll, this time was a good trip! ;) PIC #1. I got the #4 Fulton for a song.

My question,however, relates to the label. The blade and chip breaker are covered with surface rust, not a big deal, and it has the obligatory paint splatters and sawdust. As an aside...why do all old planes have paint splatters :confused: . I got this fully intending to use it. Does the intact label make this something I shouldn't mess with? What should I use to clean the tote? I usually naptha and then MS, but will these damage the label? Should I just save the tote and put on a replacement?

Thanks for helping me down this slope. (As if I can't do enough damage on my own! :D :eek: ;)

Mark

Richard Gillespie
12-12-2004, 5:43 PM
Since you have the plane in your possession you have to decide if you want it as a collector or a user. IMHO, Fulton is not considered high on the collector's desirable list. However, the label is in good condition and your suggestion of putting another tote on the plane would work. It's up to you. If it was mine, I'd test a small areal with a Q-tip and see what happens.

Please understand that I consider myself as a collector only, who insists on using my tools. I am not an expert.

Charles McKinley
12-12-2004, 9:16 PM
I hope that your fulton works better than mine. I tried it after sharpening the blade and it either doesn't cut or digs in. :(

So.... it looks like I have to do an indepth tuning or make it into a scrub as was suggested on another froum.

I would sharpen it and see how it works before putting lots of time into cleaning it.

That is a great decal though. If it doesn't work well you could try cleaning it up and putting it on ebay with a stupid high start price and see if someone bites :D

Dennis McDonaugh
12-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Some planes just don't want to work right. I have a Dunlop smoother that I can't get to work worth a darn. Chatters like crazy or doesn't cut at all. The sole is flat, the frog has been filed and the blade is extremely sharp. Go figure.

Mark Stutz
12-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Richard,
I assume you mean test a small portion of the label to see if it is affected. What would you use? naptha? ms? other?

Charles,
I had pretty much planned on an aftermarket blade. The price was good and even if this plane is a lemon the blade will work on others.

I think I will probably just use it, unless someone really chimes in with an emphatic NO.

Another question about Hock, LN, Clifton blades. Do they also require a modern chipbreaker or will the old ones work?

Thanks for the help.

Wendell Wilkerson
12-13-2004, 12:04 AM
Just to give some more options. Lee Valley, Shepherd Tool Company, Spehar Toolworks all make A2 replacement blades for Bailey style planes at about $10 less than Hock and LN. I bought some of the Lee Valley blades. Unfortunately, I haven't fettled the planes they are suppose to go in yet :( Also be care what thickness blade you buy, some of the blades like the Clifton can be too thick and the depth adjust yoke won't engage the chip breaker. Good luck with the Fulton.

Wendell

Steve Wargo
12-13-2004, 5:41 AM
The majority of the older Fulton's were made by Stanley and Miller's Falls, and often just had different lables and stamps on them. So, from a performance standpoint it should work well. I used to have an old Fulton #8 that worked great.

Richard Gillespie
12-13-2004, 8:03 AM
Mark,

In reply to your question, I'd use naphtha. It evaporates faster than mineral spirits.

Maurice Ungaro
12-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Mark,
You could always start with something really mild. Since it is the tote that is in question, I'd start by using Murphy's Oil Soap. You'ld be amazaed at how that stuff can take off grease and grime associated with body oils. The wood seems to like it as well. It would be a safer option than any distillates that have been previously mentioned.

Maurice

Dan Moening
12-13-2004, 12:08 PM
My simply opinion:

While this particular plane may not be highly collectible the decal will be worn off during use. I feel that you lose a bit of the provenance of an older tool by allowing this to happen. FWIW I have seen a minty Fulton (complete with decal) list on an antique tool site for $150+...can't say that it sold for that.

Make a new tote for it...for 2 reasons. It will allow you to use the plane without wearing off the original decal....and you will likely buy a plane sometime in the future that will require a new tote and this will be a good learning exercise.