PDA

View Full Version : Local Furniture Maker's Competition

ken gibbs
08-27-2010, 12:47 PM
I recently entered a piece of furniture in our Rockingham County, Virginia county fair and received recognition for this item. But I was disappointed because of the judging catagories. In an area where there is a very strong tradition of local furniture makers making wonderful family quality items, I was amazed that no catagories were included in this competition. The only catagories were "wooden article" and over 24" and "nder 24 inches". Doe any member or contributor have any experience in establishing competioion levels or catagories? I would like to have catagories for hand made furniture using local woods, No MDF or artificials. And the items should have a design for seasonal wood movements. Any advice? Thanks.

Mark Levitski
08-27-2010, 8:34 PM
My advice: Build what you enjoy, and if that's not sufficient "recognition" (self), then find the appropriate arena for being recognized. Maybe a county fair isn't the thing. Other possibilities are art shows where you can get a blue ribbon award and/or people will buy your work. The latter is both an accolade and an offset to expenses, maybe even profit. Categories? Two: do you like it or not. I'd say give up on the county fair thing. Doesn't VA have some good areas known for their art galleries/shops? Take a road trip and bring some examples of your work to get on consignment or outright purchase. Acceptance here can be far more gratifying than a county fair.