PDA

View Full Version : Frank Opinions Needed

Carl Eyman
12-12-2004, 3:43 PM
Some of you will remember Betsy Yocum's post asking for help in a jewlery box design. In thinking about her problem I came up with a design idea for a box I thought might be a good Christmas present. I now have it fairly close to completion. I need the opinions of you folkds with a good eye for fine design to see if I have something that is acceptable. The pictures show the box with four trays that pivot out between a fixed base and a fixed top. The top is supported above the base by the 1/4" steel rod (not in view) in which the trays pivot and a 3/98" mahogany dowel that is fixed in the base and in the top. You can see the protrusion from the top that houses the top of the dowel though the dowel is not in place in these photos. The dowel not only helps supporty the top, but acts a a stop to prevent the trays from swinging too far inward.

I have not made the base yet. In the photos everything is mounted on a piece of scrap plywood. Here are my Questions:

1. Is the general design any good (pleasing to the eye) or is it trash?
Obviously if the answer is trash, no further questions apply.

2. What would be a good material for the base? What shape should it be?
I'd like a piece of granite about 1" thick, polished, rectangular, and about
an inch larger than the trays in all directions. I doubt I could get the
stone in time for christmas, would a rectangular piece of walnut do?

3. Whatever the base material, is a rectangle with pwehaps rounded corners
appropriate? Should it have a decorative edge. perhaps ogee or quarter
round?

I shall appreciate your honest answers. If I can't give it away, I can always use it to store paper clips.

Jim Becker
12-12-2004, 5:05 PM
I kinda like it without any further base...and the design is very nice. My only concern is that the pivot point be strong enough to handle any accidental pressure applied to the other side when one or more drawers are pivoted. At least to some reasonable extent.

Ted Shrader
12-12-2004, 5:29 PM
Carl -

Well my name is not Frank, but I can give you an opinioin. :) :) :)

As I understand your description, a base is required to mount the supporting rod in. The granite would be terrific! (Late delivery would be worth it.) Any way to schmooze the supplier to hurry it up?

If that really won't work, a walnut base with the corners rounded significantly - think oval here to match the drawers - and a bead on the edge to mirror the one on the top lid.

I like the design. Definitely NOT trash!

Regards,
Ted

Michael Stafford
12-12-2004, 5:29 PM
I like it Carl. My only suggestion if you were to remake it would be to inlay a contrasting wood, cabachon or veneer medallion in the oval raised area of the lid to "fancy" it up a bit. One other thought, have you tested filled with jewelry? You might be surprised what happens with the pivot and drawer rubbing when the drawers are cantilevered and filled with items. Good work on the design and execution.

Carl Eyman
12-12-2004, 5:49 PM
`If you were to actually open or close the trays I think your concerns for strength would evaporate. I have .oo4" washers between the trays to give a little clearance in case of sag, warp, etc. but may want to increase that.

Thanks for the help guys.

Tyler Howell
12-12-2004, 6:19 PM
Carl,
Only Tyler opinions available from here. No Franks.
The top distracts my eye from the clean symmetry of the rest of the box. I'd like to see the same theme carried through out. I see two different styles conflicting.
Like Jim No base needed,
Great execution.

Randy Moore
12-12-2004, 8:23 PM
Carl

If you can't give it away I would gladly take it off your hands. What kind of wood and what did you finnish did you use.

I think a base of granite would look nice but a nice piece of walnut would look nice, too. The base could be square or round, but I would not want the base to detract from the rest of it.

This is NOT trash in my book!
Randy

Keith Outten
12-13-2004, 6:50 AM
Carl,

How about a granite colored piece of Corian for the base. Visit any local cabinet shop or counter top shop and they should have a huge pile of scraps that would include a color that is perfect for your box. You can route Corian and match the edge treatment on the box if you prefer and the cost should be $0.00.

Carl Eyman
12-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Randy: Thanks, but it looks like maybe I'll be able to give it as a gift. If I can use granite return shipping will be too high and i won't get it back. The finish is cuban red water based dye (doctored up a bit), grain filler, teo coats of Fuhr water based acrilyc varnish, and two coats of wiped on Waterlox. The second coat hasn't yet been applied. After it is I'll rub with 4/0 steel wool anfd satin wax. Oh, the wood is mahogany

Carl Eyman
12-17-2004, 5:14 PM
The enclosed pictures show that those that advised no base, or the equivalent were right. I couldn't quite go no base, but keeping it symmetrical with the case and thin, made it almost disapear. Note the rectangular walnut base I tried. Both the shape and the color clashed; so a stone or Corian base would also been oth of place, I think. With the Corian, however, I could have shaped it oval and that might have done the trick. Thanks to all