PDA

View Full Version : How much vacuum can a wood chuck chuck?

Josh Bowman
08-26-2010, 8:56 PM
Well, I finally got all the parts together today for my vacuum chuck. (That's right John K., I'm tinkering again!) I found a great salvage guy on EBay that sold me the Gast 523 pump and gave me the idea to look for a rotating union on EBay. A friend took some scrap aluminum bar and turned me a new hand wheel to fit the chuck and my Jet. The rest was stuff I got at Lowe's and the Surplus Center. The fit up went well and the vacuum via the adapted hand wheel is acceptable. I have another chuck/bearing that I bought off of EBay for $40 and it will pull 26" vacuum, I guessing that if I silicone the hand wheel to the Jet, the vacuum will improve, since that is just a tight fit with no O-ring like the rotating union has. Now I just have to figure out how to mount/store the thing. I think I'm going to adapt an old tool box, where the only things that come out is the hose and cord.

Josh Bowman
08-26-2010, 9:02 PM
FYI this is what the other chuck looks like that does NOT have to have a rotataing union. It's all inclusive, just plug a 3/8" hose to the pipe, the chuck can be ordered with different threads for your lathe. Just search vacuum chucks on the bay and you'll find this one. He took $40, but might go a little lower.http://www.harrisonspecialties.com/AuctionPhotos/VacChuck1-350.jpg

John Keeton
08-26-2010, 9:16 PM
Josh, the tinkerer!!!:D Lookin' good, there, Josh. That should really raise the enjoyment level for you.

Steve Schlumpf
08-26-2010, 9:23 PM
Josh - congrats on getting your vac system up and running! You are going to love using it!

David Woodruff
08-28-2010, 11:45 AM
A thought. If the hand wheel is not going to be a permanant fixture buy vacuum grease and use instead of silicone. Will work just as well and cleans up nicely. Vacuum grease can be obtained from MSC Industrial. In fact I urge turners not familiar with MSC to take a look. Order by 3:00pm and receive next day. No order too small. The 3" thick 10lb. catalog is packed full of information.

Josh Bowman
09-03-2010, 5:09 PM
I've pretty much finished my vacuum chuck. I also added a few hundred pounds of ballast under the Jet. That give me the shelf I needed for the pump. I don't know how often I'll use it, but in my shop, anything on the floor is in the way. I think I'll cover the end of the pumps "box" with some screen to keep the chips out. The last pictures shows how the vacuum tube runs.

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Josh congrats on getting your vac chuck working. Looks good.