PDA

View Full Version : The first step

Jack Mincey
08-26-2010, 4:38 PM
My son is 7 years old and been wanting to try his hand at turning so yesterday he did his first turning on the lathe. I had to put a step stool up next to the lathe for him to reach it. The first shot is of a piece he turned round to get a feel for turning. The next two photo's are of him with a pen he turned mostly by him self. I had to help him around the bushings. He had to sand for a while to get the tool marks out, I then put on a quick CA finish and let him turn the handle on the vise to put the pen together.
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/100_1638.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/100_1639.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/100_1641.jpg

Andy Hoyt
08-26-2010, 4:50 PM
Well done, dad.

Really well done, son of dad!

Best part of starting out young (and short) is that the plunge into the abyss seems shorter. It isn't, but helps that it seems that way. :eek:

Nice spinnerthingiemachine ya got there, too. :D

Richard Madden
08-26-2010, 5:01 PM
Pretty neat, Dad. Hang onto these pictures, they are priceless. You should both be proud and from the smile on your son's face I'd say he enjoyed the experience. Might have to think about scheduling lathe time between the two of you.;)

Tom Sherman
08-26-2010, 5:13 PM
That smile tells the tale, good job both of you.

Steve Schlumpf
08-26-2010, 5:21 PM
Jack - thanks for sharing! The smile on your son's face says it all! Way to go!

John Hart
08-26-2010, 5:45 PM
....Best part of starting out young (and short) is that the plunge into the abyss seems shorter. It isn't, but helps that it seems that way. :eek:...

Not to mention that Dad buys all the tools!! :D

Great shots, Jack! I remember when my daughters tried it for the first time. There was some great vibes in the house that day. Well done to both of you.

Nice Pen...Nice Bonker!!:)

Ken Glass
08-26-2010, 5:51 PM
Jack,
It doesn't get any better than that! What a smile, and he looks sooo proud. way to go.

Paul Douglass
08-26-2010, 6:00 PM
Okay, how many guys/gals out there got to start on a Oneway? I'd be smiling too! Great shots.

Tony De Masi
08-26-2010, 7:14 PM
Yep the smile tells all for sure.

Well done to all.

Tony

Andy Hoyt
08-26-2010, 7:43 PM
Okay, how many guys/gals out there got to start on a Oneway? I'd be smiling too! Great shots.
Guilty as charged, your honor.

And I'm still smiling. :)

David E Keller
08-26-2010, 8:05 PM
Good looking kid! He did a great job on the pen as well.

Pete Jordan
08-26-2010, 8:15 PM
Great job!

You need to get the 2436 for yourself.

John Keeton
08-26-2010, 8:47 PM
Jack, you have ruined the poor boy!! He has been shoved headlong into the vortex, destined to be penniless the rest of his life!!:D Really, is that any way to start a kid out?!?!?!:D;)

Great pic, tremendous smile, and he did a really nice job on the pen, too. Good experiences, great memories!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-26-2010, 8:56 PM
As stated by many before me, the smile says it all!

Great job by Dad and lad!

charlie knighton
08-26-2010, 9:31 PM
super, thanks for sharing

Bernie Weishapl
08-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Priceless Jack. Tell him he did well.

Don Alexander
08-26-2010, 11:37 PM
as great a job as he did on the pen the best part of the pictures is definitely the SMILE on his face .

i'm betting the smile on your face was/is almost as big :)

Jeff Nicol
08-27-2010, 4:58 AM
Jack, The smile on his face is just the most wonderful thing! I have had my boy back home from the Air Force the last couple weeks after his tour in Iraq and he has a smile that just gets to you also! Being a Dad is such a wonderful and sometimes challenging thing, but the smiles and the hugs make it all worth while!

Great job to you and to your son!

God Bless,

Jeff

Jack Mincey
08-27-2010, 6:38 AM
Thanks everyone, his smile was extra big after completing the pen. He gave this pen to my mom since the box elder it was turned from came from her yard. He is now wanting to turn one for his teacher. The trip down into the vortex begins.:) I've been needing a mini lathe anyway.:D I will have to come up with an adjustable bench so that it can go from the height he needs to what I need.
Thanks Again,
Jack

Jerry Rhoads
08-27-2010, 6:49 AM
Great story Jack, every kid should get to grow up in front of a One-Way.
He may never settle for a lesser lathe.

Jerry

Michael E. Thompson
08-27-2010, 8:17 AM
Great story and a big smile. I am looking forward to when my boys are old enough to stand in front of a lathe with me. Thanks for sharing.

bob svoboda
08-27-2010, 10:16 AM
He sure looks proud of himself--as well he should. You must be proud also--GREAT!

John W Dixon
08-27-2010, 12:44 PM
That is awesome. His smile is truly priceless!!:D He is probably going to be a tool snob now since he has been on that Oneway. I'll bet Mom was proud too!

John

Don Alexander
08-27-2010, 2:29 PM
Jack;

if you get a midi lathe and need an adjustable stand for it i have one that came under my Rikon that is very stable and adjusts height wise. i put my rikon on a fixed bench more for space issues than anything and the stand is just sitting here taking up space. give me a yell if it would be of use to you

steven carter
08-27-2010, 3:05 PM
A chip, or should I say a curl off the old block. The picture paints a thousand words and more. But what lathe is he going to move up to next?

Steve