PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Sides

Kyle Kaldor
08-26-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm in the process of building a bathroom vanity and linen closet like shown in the picture below out of QSWO. My question is for the two showing sides of the cases how bad would it look if I just used standard oak plywood instead of QSWO veneered plywood?

My QSWO is not very heavily figured so that is my reasoning for possibly using non-QS plywood. One other reason is that I'm having a hard time finding a local source for QSWO plywood.

Jeff Monson
08-26-2010, 12:10 PM
If I had the oak on hand to do it....I would make raised panel ends to match the doors. Much better look IMO

Ryan Hellmer
08-26-2010, 2:35 PM
I agree with Jeff. Recently did just that in my bathroom. The issue I see with using plywood is that so much of if is crappy spiral cut stuff that doesn't even look like real wood (wild cathedral grain and concentric circles). The other advantage is moisture. White oak is very moisture resistant, plywood, not so much.

Ryan

Chuck Cibes
08-26-2010, 3:41 PM
I agree that if you have the wood, use it and not the plywood. Another reason is that you'll be standing at that sink for a long time, and always looking at that side of the cabinet and wondering why in the world you didn't use the real wood!

Kyle Kaldor
08-26-2010, 4:05 PM
You guys are making very good points and I agree that it would look much better to have the panels on the sides. I think you've convinced me to make it panels because I have never made panels on cabinet sides before and it will be a good learning experience.

I don't think I have enough wood at the time, but there's always more :D

And actually for the price that I got this wood, I think I could probably make the panels cheaper than I could veneer or buy the plywood.

Joe Chritz
08-26-2010, 4:37 PM
Indeed, raised panel sides or applied panels where visible. Plywood where it isn't.

Joe

Sam Layton
08-26-2010, 4:48 PM
Kyle, another vote for panel sides. I am installing my kitchen now. I do not have any ply showing, all panels. Pre finished ply only on the inside. Much better look in my opinion.

Sam