PDA

View Full Version : Any idea what this saw/digger is for?

Gary Radice
08-26-2010, 11:28 AM
A friend of mine sent me this message and pix and I'm stumped. Any thoughts?

"This was in my garage. I'm not sure how it came to be in my possession. I ended up using it today to edge the sidewalk- it did a pretty good job of getting between the sidewalk and the soil, and ripped out the grass and weeds that were spilling over onto the walkway. while I was doing this, I noticed that it cut on the pull. And, I wondered why the teeth are only on the tip. It is not a knife-- the metal plate is 1.4mm on all sides. the 'teeth' are not uniform, but look more like what you would find on a circular saw. I have search google, and wikipedia and have not been able to figure out the original use of this devise. There are no obvious markings on the blade, nor the handle. The rivets are uniform on both sides. There are wear marks on the metal on one side that run along the 'cutting edge' to the top of the handle attachment on one side, but on the other side of the blade these markings run to the bottom of the attachment point, indicating at one time it was use in a fashion that resulted in abrasion marks coming from different arcs of movement. It's general shape is similar to a knife one might use for skinning an animal (suggested by a friend on Facebook) but it is not a knife, and the skinning knives do not have serrated edges."

john brenton
08-26-2010, 11:46 AM
That's not your hand is it? If it is, all I an say is I hope your a left handed classical guitar player.

Gary Radice
08-26-2010, 12:01 PM
That's not your hand is it? If it is, all I an say is I hope your a left handed classical guitar player.

Ha! No, that's my friend Carolyn's hand, and her whatever-it-is.

harry strasil
08-26-2010, 5:47 PM
it could be someones idea of a fish knife, in the Dictionary of American Hand Tools, there is a similar knife with serrations the total length of one side, that is referred to as a fish scaling knife.

John Toigo
08-26-2010, 11:38 PM
That'd be a kerf saw. http://accuratemw.thomasnet.com/viewitems/all-categories/tools?&forward=1

Ray Schwalb
08-27-2010, 3:46 AM
Wow, way to research!:)

Gary Radice
08-27-2010, 7:38 PM
Kerf saw it is. Thanks, John!

Bryan Wuest
08-28-2010, 12:19 AM
Ok, I'll bite. What is the use or functionality of a kerf saw? What is the purpose of the locatoin of the teeth?

Steve Thomas
08-28-2010, 1:53 AM
Cleaning sawdust from the botom of a saw kerf? I could use one to scrape jambed saw dust out of a narrow dado, cut with a straight router bit...

Jim Koepke
08-28-2010, 2:11 AM
A kerf saw could come in handy when you are trying to start a hole in something like a wall or floor.

jim

Gary Radice
08-28-2010, 7:46 PM
Ok, I'll bite. What is the use or functionality of a kerf saw? What is the purpose of the locatoin of the teeth?

Casting the net wide, I asked this on another site, too. A couple of folks there said it was used to rout grooves to install weatherstripping. I'm guessing you align it against a straight edge and have at it. I suppose this is useful in the field where you don't have access to electricity for a router or table saw.

Kent A Bathurst
08-29-2010, 8:54 AM
Wtsp attaches to windows, doors, etc in a variety of ways. If you were framing in a door, or renovating a door, using lumber and boards - not pre-machined jamb/header stock - then you often need to cut a kerf to receive the wtsp spline. You'd find a number of situations where you couldn't use a router/ts/etc, even if you wanted to, especially after the frame is installed in the opening - as it when you are intalling the framing lumber as-you-go.

The way that saw is set up, the handle [+ your hand] will clear the jamb, while the blade's teeth cut the kerf into the closure strip or "stop" [a small strip of wood attached to the jamb that the door closes against - like 3/4" x 1/2", or whatever] that receives the wtsp. You couldn't use a normal-style saw to do the job. The jamb itself acts as your "straightedge".

The tooth pattern also makes sense - the kerf you cut will be concealed by the installed wtsp, so you don't need a "dovetail quality" cut, and I'm sure the guys in the field don't want to be screwing around - something that cuts fast, not pretty. My WAG is that the blade thickness + tooth set makes a kerf in the 3/32" range.

Nicholas Lingg
08-29-2010, 11:25 AM
How about removing old caulk from floor boards like ships etc.