PDA

View Full Version : Throne for a Grandson

Malcolm Tibbetts
08-26-2010, 11:17 AM
I displayed this at the Hartford Instant Gallery, but it was missing something.

Abbott is 14 months old. The woods are Oregon myrtlewood and California claro walnut. The chair was turned about 22” in diameter and 22” from end to end and the seat is the cut-out replaced in reverse position. A flat section was also removed to create the base. The foot stool is about 14” in diameter. The four ends are “floating” panels and everything was finished with water-based poly.

As always, all comments are welcome.

Bernie Weishapl
08-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Now Malcolm that is just to cool. Really well done. Grandson looks as though he is enjoying it.

Roger Chandler
08-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Malcolm,

Beautiful grandson! Words are not adequate for this piece of work [and most of your others as well!] Superlatives just come up short.........this is just so creative, and so well executed.

There is no doubt that segmented turnings/ projects require a tremendous amount of planing and gathering of materials and prep work before one ever begins the turning, or glue up for that matter.

I marvel at the creativity, the engineering, the execution and the patience it requires to do what you do!

Richard Madden
08-26-2010, 11:42 AM
The work you turn out is just unbelievable! Wish I had an ounce of your talent and skill.

Mike Golka
08-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Malcolm that is some masterful work, and the throne is very well done as well ;). Your work is inspiring as always.

Tim Rinehart
08-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Malcolm,
I recall seeing pics of that from gallery shots by others (I didn't make symposium..:mad:) and thinking how clever that was.

You're right though...it was missing something special to make it really 'pop'.

One of these days...I'll have to try segmenting....among other diversions!

Great work. I'm assuming the floating ends is for stability and avoiding issues I hear other segmenters talk about with mixing grain orientation and having issues during seasonal changes in humidity....kinda like a cabinet is built. Have to remember that one.

Robert McGowen
08-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Your imagination runs wild, Malcolm. It looks like it was well received!

Paul Douglass
08-26-2010, 12:31 PM
That is outstanding. The real neat thing is his kids will enjoy it, his grand kids will enjoy it and many generations after will enjoy it.

Gary Herrmann
08-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Completely turned furniture - not something you see every day.

Beautiful grandson and work.

John Keeton
08-26-2010, 1:26 PM
Who needs 'bean bag chairs!!' That is just too much, Malcolm - really a neat use of segmentation on a practical level. And, still art!

alex carey
08-26-2010, 1:27 PM
looking good, how heavy is it?

Joshua Dinerstein
08-26-2010, 4:12 PM
That is just amazing. Now I want to make one for my 18 month old daughter. But that is never going to happen. I find myself oddly busy. What with having an 18 month old and all. :)

But fantastic work!

Joshua

gary Zimmel
08-26-2010, 5:42 PM
Too cool Malcolm. Way too cool....
That is going to be a great conversation piece...

Michael James
08-26-2010, 7:05 PM
Very nice! And to think I thought a nice segmented vessel was the grail..... geez, now I wonder what else I don't know.:eek:
mj

Malcolm Tibbetts
08-26-2010, 7:17 PM
Thanks everyone, it ws indeed a fun project. And seeing little Abbott climb aboard made the whole thing worth the effort. :) :)

Ryan Baker
08-26-2010, 8:08 PM
That is soooo cool, Malcolm! Another great piece.

David E Keller
08-26-2010, 8:11 PM
That is fantastic! Wonderful creativity and execution.

James Roberts
08-26-2010, 9:15 PM
Malcolm that is truly awesome! I never would have conceived a project like that. Your grandson is obviously delighted, and with good reason.

John W Dixon
08-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Malcolm that is fantastic. Your grandson looks like he loves it which is I'm sure what you were going for! Beautiful work.

John

George Guadiane
08-27-2010, 3:06 AM
You set a really high bar for us Grandpa's to get up to, let alone over!
As usual, this is really COOL! (cute kid too)

William Hutchinson
08-27-2010, 4:29 AM
That's truly a piece of functional art. Does young Abbott know that he's sitting on his college fund? Malcolm, this and your other works are inspirational thanks for sharing.

Alan Zenreich
08-27-2010, 6:51 AM
Very nice Malcolm.

Problem is that kids outgrow kid size items.

Fortunately there is a solution.

Simply require that your own children provide a steady supply of new grandchildren, so this chair can be occupied for decades. <vbg>

David DeCristoforo
08-27-2010, 2:03 PM
Too cool for words... I want one! (The chair I mean...;)

Steve Schlumpf
08-27-2010, 3:36 PM
Beautiful work - as always! Excellent photo! Thanks for sharing!