PDA

View Full Version : Box making software

David Griffiths
08-26-2010, 9:41 AM
Hi,
I've been searching for box making software that was listed here some time back that could use millimetres as well as inches called BoxMaker (?).
I can't remember if it was a macro for Corel or a stand alone programe.
I've come across a couple- Rahulbotics (Can't get it to run on W7) and Box Making VBA Macro. Called FingerBox.gms (only has inches as far as I can see).
The software I had downloaded here (before the hard disk crashed) allowed the conversion to mm by changing the dialog box (rather than a calculation to the 3rd decimal point)
I've searched on Box Maker software, Box Maker macro, BoxMaker etc.
If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very thankful
Thanks
Dave

Mike Null
08-26-2010, 9:51 AM
I don't know why converting your unit of measure to mm in Corel wouldn't work for you.

David Griffiths
08-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Hi Mike,
I run Corel in mm however the Box Making VBA Macro. Called FingerBox.gms seems only to work in inches. As we can only buy our timer in mm and not inches it's time consuming to make the calcs on all measurements.
Regards

Lee DeRaud
08-26-2010, 10:39 AM
I run Corel in mm however the Box Making VBA Macro. Called FingerBox.gms seems only to work in inches. As we can only buy our timer in mm and not inches it's time consuming to make the calcs on all measurements.There's a "Scale" entry on the 'Fingerbox' dialog that (duh) scales all the user entries. Just set it to 0.03937 (i.e. 1/25.4) and everything becomes millimeters instead of inches.

I don't know why converting your unit of measure to mm in Corel wouldn't work for you.
'Fingerbox' is unitless: I deliberately omitted units from the entry dialog. However, Corel does everything in inches internally: changing the unit of measure in 'Page Setup' just changes the displays. There may be a way to really change unit of measure globally, but I never found it.

David Griffiths
08-26-2010, 11:17 AM
There's a "Scale" entry on the 'Fingerbox' dialog that (duh) scales all the user entries. Just set it to 0.03937 (i.e. 1/25.4) and everything becomes millimeters instead of inches..

Thanks Lee
I wasn't having a shot at your programe and not being the best at programing couldn't work it out. I now can work it out thanks to your input.

[QUOTE='Fingerbox' is unitless: I deliberately omitted units from the entry dialog. However, Corel does everything in inches internally: changing the unit of measure in 'Page Setup' just changes the displays. There may be a way to really change unit of measure globally, but I never found it.[/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken, you can change the units globally in X4, but again I stand to be corrected. We only work in mm here.

Frank Corker
08-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Dave, unzip this and run the bat file, should be what you were after.

Mike Null
08-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Under TOOLS-OPTIONS-RULERS you can change the default unit of measure.

Lee DeRaud
08-26-2010, 12:09 PM
If I'm not mistaken, you can change the units globally in X4, but again I stand to be corrected. We only work in mm here.Just took another look at the problem at a very low level, looking at the properties for the "Document" object inside VBA: the "Unit" property for that object defaults to 'cdrInch'. And it does so regardless of what you set the page layout units to. AFAICT there are no other operator-accessible controls to select units.

As it happens, 'Fingerbox' also hard-sets that property to 'cdrInch', so a Corel option change wouldn't help anyway. I dimly remember (this was early 2005) considering having a dialog to select Inch/MM/Points/whatever and decided to use the more general scale approach, partly because I despise the Kabuki dance you have to go through to handle drop-downs. But if you open 'Fingerbox' in the VBA editor, you can change the text string 'cdrInch' to 'cdrMillimeter' every place it appears (twice IIRC), and then you can work metric and leave scale at 1.0. EDIT: If you do that, you might also want to change the default values for the dialog...unless you're into making very small boxes.

Lee DeRaud
08-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Under TOOLS-OPTIONS-RULERS you can change the default unit of measure.Same thing internally: if you change units on 'Page Layout', it changes the units on 'Rulers' and vice versa. Neither affects what unit Corel is using "under the hood".

David Griffiths
08-27-2010, 12:48 AM
Dave, unzip this and run the bat file, should be what you were after.

Thanks Frank, worked a treat,
Regards

Jesse Anderson
03-04-2013, 3:01 PM
The Box maker program works very well. I am sure i will find a use for it some day. Just to test it out i made a little 2x2x2x2 inch box. Glues it together. Sanded it. But a coat of stain on it. The Epoxy Resin. Looks pretty nice. Though the only use i can think of is a over sized pair of dice. ""But i suppose a jewelry box or a customized paper weight.

Chuck Stone
03-04-2013, 4:48 PM
The Box maker program works very well. I am sure i will find a use for it some day. Just to test it out i made a little 2x2x2x2 inch box. Glues it together. Sanded it. But a coat of stain on it. The Epoxy Resin. Looks pretty nice. Though the only use i can think of is a over sized pair of dice. ""But i suppose a jewelry box or a customized paper weight.

The box is just a starting point. You customize from there.
The 'top' of the votive candle holder is now sitting inside the
box, about 1" from the bottom. It has a hole in it the right
size to hold the candle in place. Another version holds one
of those 'pumpkin lights' in place, for those who want electric
instead of a flame.
The whiskey stone boxes have a shelf in the middle with a grid
pattern of holes so wet stones can drain, and cold air can get
inside when you put them in the freezer.

I've started with a basic box shape in the Boxmaker program and
then just tweaked till I got what I needed. Recently made someone a
cigarette case using the program .. a living hinge piece holds the
cigarettes in place in each half. I should have taken a photo or
saved the file.