PDA

View Full Version : Anyone made their own "portable CO2" setup for nailers etc?

Josh Reet
08-26-2010, 1:47 AM
There are numerous times when it would be really handy to be able to drive a few finish nails or brads into something around the house. But doing so means hauling out the compressor and lugging it from the shop across the yard. Sure, it's not that far. But hey, that damn thing is heavy. So more often than now I end up using some other slower method to do what I'm trying to do.

Lowes has it's Kobalt portable co2 regulator that looks pretty slick. But at $90, it also seems overpriced for what it is. Couldn't I just get a regulator, a paintball adapter and some fittings and have the same thing?

Here's a decent look inside the Kobalt version:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=73.0

Rich Engelhardt
08-26-2010, 3:12 AM
There are numerous times when it would be really handy to be able to drive a few finish nails or brads into something around the house.

I picked up a small ultra portable compressor (Evolv) from Sears for about 50 bucks on sale. It came with a fairly nice full 2" Brad nailer, a hose and a few fittiings.
It only weighs a few pounds.

I considered a CO2 setup - but - all things considered, a small compressor made more sense.
As long as I have electric nearby, I don't have to worry about running out of air in the middle of something.

Only real drawback is that it is kind of noisy.

Craig McCormick
08-26-2010, 8:55 AM
I had a co2 set up. You could trim a whole room with it. The biggest drawback was you can't keep it in a truck or car when it's hot. There's a safety valve that empties the cylinder when it gets hot.
It always seemed like the thing was empty when I needed it.

Azcraig

Josh Reet
08-26-2010, 9:36 AM
I had a co2 set up. You could trim a whole room with it. The biggest drawback was you can't keep it in a truck or car when it's hot. There's a safety valve that empties the cylinder when it gets hot.
It always seemed like the thing was empty when I needed it.

Azcraig

A valid issue, but not one that would apply to me regularly. Then again, I'm sure it would happen just when I needed it 'off-site'. But in general, this would just be aound the house type jobs for me.

Scott T Smith
08-26-2010, 9:48 AM
If you only need to drive a few nails, have you considered picking up a portable air tank that you fill from your compressor? Every now and then Northern Tool has them on sale for less than $30.00. Simply remove the air chuck from the end, and replace it with an air coupler to plug into your nail gun.

Josh Reet
08-26-2010, 9:59 AM
If you only need to drive a few nails, have you considered picking up a portable air tank that you fill from your compressor? Every now and then Northern Tool has them on sale for less than $30.00. Simply remove the air chuck from the end, and replace it with an air coupler to plug into your nail gun.

You know, that's probably not a bad idea.

I just really do like the 'cool gadget' factor of a small co2 setup. But the tank is surely more cost effective.

Dave Gaul
08-26-2010, 10:09 AM
You know, that's probably not a bad idea.

I just really do like the 'cool gadget' factor of a small co2 setup. But the tank is surely more cost effective.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to add an in-line regulator too? or do these tanks come with one?

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-26-2010, 10:20 AM
For one man, small jobs (like pin or finish nailing molding trim around a room) I've often wondered if a little Automobile tire inflating compressor might not do the trick.
like this
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100348465&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=64119933&ci_sku=100348465&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads&locStoreNum=980&marketID=15

Josh Reet
08-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Wouldn't it be a good idea to add an in-line regulator too? or do these tanks come with one?

The air tanks I have seen do not come with a regulator. So yes, you would probably need to add one. However, I'm just speculating here. So if Scott or anyone has used a tank to run a nailer, perhaps they will chime in.

If you do need to add a regulator, then you've probably run the price up to more than what a DIY CO2 solution would probably cost. Though of course you wouldn't have to deal with filling CO2 tanks.

Troy John
08-26-2010, 10:23 AM
I have the Kobalt one and it has worked great for me, I also have a portable compressor. I like the Kobalt for off site trim install, its so small and easy to load and carry. If I go to a clients home to put up crown I either have to drag a long and dirty hose through the house or bring the noisy compressor inside which is annoying, when using the portable compressor.
The only problem I have had with the Kobalt is there cheap hose blew up and messed up the regulator, so I took it back and they gave me a new one.
Now I use a normal air hose and have put up a few hundred feet of crown trouble free, and Im still on my first air cylinder. Ive been told that it can be refilled for about $3 so thats no concern, but if you run short in the middle of a job it will be annoying to drop everything to go find a place to refill it.

Bart Leetch
08-26-2010, 10:29 AM
I picked up a Campbell Housfeld portable compressor at Ace for around $75 with I think it was a $40 rebate & with Ace & with About $26 worth of $5 coupons added a regulator & fittings. Small enough to pick up with 1 or 2 fingers.

Greg R Bradley
08-26-2010, 1:45 PM
The people I've talked to that bought a CO2 setup for occaisional use find them empty after they sit for awhile.

How about a Senco PC1010 - about $115 on sale, quiet, and enough power to run anything up to a finish nailer in any kind of normal use. Weighs about 20 lbs.

Nathan Allen
08-26-2010, 3:21 PM
What about one of the Palmgren Hipshots or CH Tankless? Both are cheap and offer enough power for a few shots.

Brian D Anderson
08-26-2010, 3:36 PM
I'd go with a small compressor. I got this little 2 gallon compressor a few weeks ago for the same purpose:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_2780.jpg

I just trimmed out a bedroom with it. I'm going to leave it in my garage and use it for filling up inflatable kids toys and bike tires and the occasional car tire. I have a bigger 25 gallon Craftsman in the basement that is just a bit too big to be lugging around.

-Brian

John Pratt
08-26-2010, 3:41 PM
+1 for the Kobalt system.

I have this system and so far it has worked great for me. Some of the places I install crown or chair rail in buildings on this military installation I just can't lug a compressor around, and places that have offices don't want the noise the generator produces. I have installed trim and crown in an office next to a room with the General having a meeting with no complaints. The bottles don't last quite as long as advertised, but they can shoot quite a few nails before filling. The local paintball shop charges $5.00 to refill a 20oz bottle.

David Epperson
08-26-2010, 3:54 PM
For one man, small jobs (like pin or finish nailing molding trim around a room) I've often wondered if a little Automobile tire inflating compressor might not do the trick.
like this
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100348465&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=64119933&ci_sku=100348465&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads&locStoreNum=980&marketID=15
Somewhere on this near infinite web I once saw a DIY portable compressor made from 2 small Harbor Freight inflator compressors, a section of PVC pipe for a tank, all mounted on a re-purposed 18v Flashlight body (the kind that will share the battery for the matching drill). IIRC the guy also had a pressure cutoff switch installed on it. It was cute, in a nifty utilitarian sort of way.

Josh Reet
08-26-2010, 4:44 PM
While there are lots of good suggestions and comments, it isn't looking like anyone has actually gone the DIY route themselves. So perhaps I will brainstorm a bit here.

This is the cheapest regulator I can find (assuming you buy it at it's $25 sale price):

http://www.harborfreight.com/regulator-gauge-94841.html

It's a bit overkill for the application with both pressure and flow gauges, so if anyone can find a cheaper single gauge regulator, I'd love to hear about it.

Here's a 20oz paintball tank:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0020L39Z0?ie=UTF8&tag=lillijean-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0020L39Z0

Than I'm assuming I would need an adapter for the regulator to the tank. I may be wrong, but I don't know offhand what the thread pitch and size are of either paintball co2 tanks or that regulator. There has to be a cheaper version out there, but I did find this on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VEQZ3G?ie=UTF8&tag=lillijean-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000VEQZ3G

I think you'd bust that apart and connect the tank adapter to the regulator and then use the hose from the reg to your nailgun.

So with tank, you'd be up around $65, which is a little high for DIY when you consider that the Kobalt is $90 (or $80 with a 10% coupon or even $50 if they make it a black friday deal like they did last year). But then again, if you could find a cheaper reg and didn't actually need the tank adapter, you'd be down closer to $35-40, which is a pretty good deal in my book. Especially considering that the Kobalt kits I have seen come with a 9oz tank and you'd have a 20oz one if you did it DIY.

Just brainstorming though.....

Ryan Baker
08-26-2010, 7:51 PM
Sure, you could easily set up a DIY rig. As you noted, getting the fitting to connect to the tank is the hardest part. If you go to the paintball suppliers online you will find much better prices for parts than with the commercial systems. Those tank extensions could be handy if you can figure out a way to connect one to your regulator. Just make sure your regulator can handle the tank presusre. The CO2 tanks are a lot higher pressure than you get out of a typical compressor.

I have the Kobalt system (I got mine on a special price closer to $50). They work well and are very handy for certain jobs. If you remove the regulator from the tank when not in use, you shouldn't have any problem with the tank leaking down. Note that you should pick up extra tank o-rings from a paintball supplier. The CO2 freezes the o-rings and makes them tend to split when removing the tank. Once the ring splits, you will just leak all the CO2.

I also have a mini-compressor that is also great for those little jobs when you don't want to drag around the big compressor. Mine is a rebranded version of the little Senco mentioned. You can regularly get it for under $90. It is very quiet when running, and keeps up just fine with small nailers if you aren't trying to shoot too rapid-fire.

Karl Brogger
08-26-2010, 8:27 PM
Wow. Way too complicated.

Buy more hose.

Scott T Smith
08-26-2010, 9:34 PM
The air tanks I have seen do not come with a regulator. So yes, you would probably need to add one. However, I'm just speculating here. So if Scott or anyone has used a tank to run a nailer, perhaps they will chime in.

If you do need to add a regulator, then you've probably run the price up to more than what a DIY CO2 solution would probably cost. Though of course you wouldn't have to deal with filling CO2 tanks.

I have used a tank to run a nailer; I have a couple of portable tanks that I use here on the farm. The nice thing about them is that they are multi-purpose; I can use them to air up a tire or as a remote air source (limited CFM though).

If I only need to shoot a few nails, I'll fill the tank up with regulated pressure (typically 90 psi), so it self regulates.

If I'm using the framing nailer, I'll put more pressure in the tank (around 125 or so), and use a regulator on the output. I have an old Sears regulator that I use; (also use it as a remote for paint guns), it has a female quick coupler on one side and a male on the other.

Josh Reet
08-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Wow. Way too complicated.

Buy more hose.

Complicated? Ah yes, as opposed to every woodworking project on the site. You can buy chairs at the store you know!

Besides, the hose I would need would cost the same amount, and be far more annoying to deal with.

Josh Reet
08-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Sure, you could easily set up a DIY rig. As you noted, getting the fitting to connect to the tank is the hardest part. If you go to the paintball suppliers online you will find much better prices for parts than with the commercial systems. Those tank extensions could be handy if you can figure out a way to connect one to your regulator. Just make sure your regulator can handle the tank presusre. The CO2 tanks are a lot higher pressure than you get out of a typical compressor.

For whatever it's worth, that reg I linked to is a CO2 reg for homebrew kegs or MIG welding. So in theory, it should be fine. If you trust HF stuff that is.

Wayne Morley
08-26-2010, 11:49 PM
This is another option. It's not DIY, but the cost is more in line.

Link (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200385985_200385985) at Northern Tool and Equipment

Bill ThompsonNM
08-27-2010, 4:09 AM
I've been using a small tank I paid about $25 for 15 years ago. I've never bothered with a regulator for it and my Bostitch framing and finish nailers work fine. I also use it for filling tires so I don't have to get the vehicle to the compressor or vice versa.

Rich Engelhardt
08-27-2010, 6:13 AM
I have and use an aux tank.
It's one of the reasons I bought the little portable compressor & nixed the CO2 idea.

It always seemed I was just shy of finishing something when the tank ran out.
I could see the same thing happening all over again w/the CO2 setup.

Edit to add:
There was a similar topic here @ SMC a while ago. Someone was asking about refilling the CO2 tanks by using their compressor.
The was a bit of discussion about the pressures involved.

I'm not so sure I'd trust a home brew valve at the pressures the CO2 tanks use.

That was another reason I nixed the CO2 idea.

Curt Harms
08-27-2010, 8:32 AM

I used a 5 gal. air tank to run a brad nailer and narrow crown stapler. I didn't have a regulator, just kept the pressure in the tank 80-90 psi. I could drive 15-20 brads or staples before the pressure dropped significantly. I had a tire inflater like Cliff referred to and had it plumbed into the tank with a pressure switch. Talk about LOUD!!! and took a long time to pressurize the tank from empty. It did work, however. Right now I'm using a little Sears compressor for portable use, had a gift card. It weights 37 lbs., is oil lubed though direct drive so not too bad for noisy. It's adequate for nail guns and inflating tires. I doubt it'd work with air tools like impact guns though. I did try it with a PSH1 HVLP conversion gun just to see. It would maintain pressure with the gun trigger held open but did not shut off. I guess it'd work to spray small items where I'm only spraying for a few seconds at a time.

Dave Wagner
08-27-2010, 12:50 PM
I just use an 8 gallon portable air tank, fill to about 80-90#'s, it will drive my finish nailer and/or stapler for quite a while doing trim around the house....

rick carpenter
08-27-2010, 1:12 PM
Can anyone provide "recipes" for both a DIY CO2 setup and a small aux tank setup please? I do disaster relief work and sometimes the power will be out or waaaaay far away yet I need the oomph and ease of air nailers. Interesting about CO2 canisters discharging, I wonder if there's a way to keep them in a semi-sealed cooler for longest term storage.

An expensive alternative is the new cordless Senco unit that re-uses nitrogen, it's like $beaucoup though.

Eric DeSilva
08-27-2010, 2:57 PM
Can anyone provide "recipes" for both a DIY CO2 setup and a small aux tank setup please? I do disaster relief work and sometimes the power will be out or waaaaay far away yet I need the oomph and ease of air nailers. Interesting about CO2 canisters discharging, I wonder if there's a way to keep them in a semi-sealed cooler for longest term storage.

An expensive alternative is the new cordless Senco unit that re-uses nitrogen, it's like $beaucoup though.

I use a small C02 system--actually a Jacpac, I think. If you were talking large volumes/high use, the thing to do might be to small commercial tank that you could use to refill smaller cannisters. No leakage issue there. The nice thing about C02 versus air is that C02 is a heckuva lot more compressable, and therefore you can have a smaller tank of C02 drive way more nails than a similar air tank.

If you are doing relief work, you might see if you can get Jacpac or Kobalt to donate some... Seems like good press.

Josh Reet
08-27-2010, 3:05 PM

I agree with Erik. See if you can get Kobalt to flow you one for your work.

That having been said, I posted what would be a theoretical "recipe" for a CO2 version above. The "aux tank" solution just involves buying a tank, switching the "tire fill" fitting for a female NPT and then getting a male to male hose for filling the tank from a compressor.

Bob Turkovich
08-27-2010, 4:22 PM
Did a CO2 tank exchange at Lowe's today. Cost $8.50 for the 20 oz. tank.

This will be the third tank I've needed since I purchased the kit a couple of years ago. The second tank didn't seem to hold its pressure as well as the first (longer storage + fewer shots). I've only used it for finish/brad nailer work.

Josh Reet
08-27-2010, 6:03 PM
I'm a little jealous of the people who got in on the Kobalt $50 deal over black friday last year. I guess they might do it again, so I could probably stand to wait. If I've lasted this long without a co2 option for my nailer, it's not like I couldn't wait a bit longer.

Or I could just man up and buy the real one (or the slightly cheaper but + shipping Northern Tool one).

Rick Lizek
08-27-2010, 7:09 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Palmgren-92101-Tankless-Cordless-Compressor/dp/B00068U8BM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1282950257&sr=8-1-catcorr
I have one of these Palmgren portables...great compressor

Karl Brogger
08-27-2010, 7:17 PM
Complicated? Ah yes, as opposed to every woodworking project on the site. You can buy chairs at the store you know!

Besides, the hose I would need would cost the same amount, and be far more annoying to deal with.

Its been my cure for lugging an air compressor around for quite a while. I got sick of toting the thing up stairs when I was working on some four story townhomes, where the kitchen was on the third floor. Leave the compressor on the ground level, run a 100' hose to the floor I was working on, add more hose when needed.

Even with a rambler, half the time I just leave the noise outside in a garage or porch. What can I say, I'm lazy.

Todd Hoppe
08-28-2010, 11:13 PM

+1 I have one and use it all the time. You get several brad nails out of a tank

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-09-2010, 6:42 PM
GBT1850K - 18 Gauge Straight Finish Nailer
GFN1664K - 16 Gauge Straight Finish Nailer
GFN1564K - 15 Gauge FN Angled Finish Nailer
GF28WW - 28° Framing Nailer

No compressor, no gas cartridge. Rechargable battery powered

Laurie Brown
09-23-2010, 5:03 PM

That's what I got when my pancake compressor died. I had a 40-year-old homemade compressor passed down from my dad but no tank for it, so I bought one of these. I fill it up and cart it around the yard to fill car tires or run nailers. It has a handle but it's kind of heavy, so I sit it in the back of my cart that's pulled by my lawn tractor.

Rick Moyer
10-12-2010, 5:03 PM
I just use an 8 gallon portable air tank, fill to about 80-90#'s, it will drive my finish nailer and/or stapler for quite a while doing trim around the house....
I was just looking at one of these:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_143677-43657-ET200000DI_0__?newSearch=true&catalogId=10051&productId=3013577&UserSearch=143677&Ntt=143677%7CET200000DI&N=0&cm_mmc=SCE_gps-_-gps-_-1042010-_-Campbell+Hausfeld+Auxiliary+Air+Compressor+Tank&langId=-1&storeId=10151&Ntk=p_product_item_number%7Cp_product_model_id&ddkey=http:ProductDisplay

about how many 1" brads do you suspect I could drive before refilling?

My compressor isn't very portable and I won't try to snake 200' of rubber hose from the garage, through the house, upstairs, etc. Sorry Karl, that's not an option! If I could us eone of these to put up some crown molding or chair rail I think it would be worth it. Anybody have some experience??

Justin Freund
10-12-2010, 11:26 PM
I have one of the Kobalt ones as well. I got frustrated at having to constantly refill the bottles. I'll admit I was using it as my primary source for nailers when my compressor needed a new regulator and I didn't replace it right away, but it was still disappointing. I ended up replacing the CO2 bottle with a bigger HPA (high pressure air) bottle so I could refill it myself at work using the SCBA cascade. Now that's not a real practical solution for non-firefighters (the SCBA cascade part) but you can also refill at a dive shop. If you wanted more air, you can get much bigger tanks or even adapt from a scuba tank or SCBA tank as well which can be had pretty cheaply used (maybe not enough for the OP though). If you have some coin and want to stay with CO2, you can use this from Powertank:

http://www.powertank.com/products/sfID1/34/productID/76

At 10lbs CO2, its like having 8 of the bigger 20oz bottles with a built in regulator.

Also, its cheaper if you go to a paintball shop or sports shop Like Dick's to refill the CO2 bottles. They were 3.50 or so IIRC. After 4 refils, you got the 5th free at Dick's.

Josiah Bartlett
10-13-2010, 1:14 AM
I use an air tank too, but I increased the convenience factor by installing a ball valve and a male quick connect fitting on my compressor. I can fill the air tank in about 10 seconds this way, and its also a convenient tap for drawing down the compressor tank or blowing the dust out of my shoes.

Rich Engelhardt
10-13-2010, 3:05 AM
If I could us eone of these to put up some crown molding or chair rail I think it would be worth it. Anybody have some experience??
Yep - sure do.

That's exactly the reason I bought one of those little mouse fart compressors. Lugging the tank up and down the stairs to refill it get's real old real fast.

I can tell you w/100% assurance that when you're using a portable tank that the number of fasteners you can drive will be one less than you need.
G-ar-un-teed!!!

You'll hang one piece of crown ok, start on the next, climb up on the step ladder, position it just so and run a tack & Wham! the rotten SOB will be proud..

Now you have to climb back down off the step ladder, with the crown dangling off the wall and lug the tank downstairs to refill it.
If you're lucky all the crown will do is dangle.
If you're not - like me! - when you let go it'll twist enough to screw up the coped edge you spent so much time doing...

Like I said before - mouse farts.. you can't beat 'em. They weigh about the same as an aux tank, cost about the same and they refill themselves.

Curt Harms
10-13-2010, 8:07 AM
Yep - sure do.
Like I said before - mouse farts.. you can't beat 'em.

:D:D I've been laughing myself silly over that term.

Harry Goodwin
10-13-2010, 9:23 AM
I am on the side of the small compressor. I have alarger porter cable that is too heavy to be that portable. A little one from Home depot does the job and will drive some longer larger nails as long as you work slow. Harry

Rick Moyer
10-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Yep - sure do.

That's exactly the reason I bought one of those little mouse fart compressors. Lugging the tank up and down the stairs to refill it get's real old real fast.

I can tell you w/100% assurance that when you're using a portable tank that the number of fasteners you can drive will be one less than you need.
G-ar-un-teed!!!

You'll hang one piece of crown ok, start on the next, climb up on the step ladder, position it just so and run a tack & Wham! the rotten SOB will be proud..

Now you have to climb back down off the step ladder, with the crown dangling off the wall and lug the tank downstairs to refill it.
If you're lucky all the crown will do is dangle.
If you're not - like me! - when you let go it'll twist enough to screw up the coped edge you spent so much time doing...

Like I said before - mouse farts.. you can't beat 'em. They weigh about the same as an aux tank, cost about the same and they refill themselves.

Thanks, Rich. That's what I thought might be a problem.
What (mouse fart)compressor do you have? Any pluses or minuses I should be considering?

Rich Engelhardt
10-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Rick,
I've got two. One is a Coleman 1 gal tank and the other is an Evolv 3 gal tank.

Both are oiless and about 1/2HP - or - enough to run an 18 or 23 ga gun.
They're not much use for anything else like filling tires or even blowing dust off due to the small tanks.

They are however ultra portable and being oiless, I don't worry about them tipping over in the back of the Toyota van or the Subaru and leaking oil.

The Evolv is much quieter than the Coleman and also my Ingersol Rand oil bath "hot dog". The IR is portable - but @ 68 lbs, not all that portable.

The Coleman was $49.00 at Lowes on a Black Friday sale. It came with an 18 ga 1 1/4" gun and some fasteners.
The Evolve was $59.00 on sale at Sears and it also came with an 18 ga, full 2" gun and some 2" fasteners.
Both guns are combo brad/staple.

Last Christmas season, both Lowes and HD had some mouse farts for about $50.00.
HD had a Husky that came with a 23 ga pinner and Lowes had a CH that came with a combo brad/staple gun (IIRC)

Both mouse farts will run a 16 ga gun in a pinch for a few fasteners.
The Evolv, w/the bigger tank, will run a couple 15 ga.
(I just came upstairs to type this and I was just using the Evolv with my Grex 15 ga. inside the downstairs bathroom - worked like a champ.)

The Evolv (IMHO) is the better of the two. nice accurate controls - the Coleman comes with no gauge - 3 gal tank for a little reserve and fairly quiet.

Recovery time is long. About 3 min from empty to full & about half that time when the pressure drops and it kicks in.
I like the faster recovery of the Coleman for running staples.
Since staples are usually always hidden, a proud one or two doesn't usually matter.

Harbor Freight had a twin to the Evolv a couple/three weeks ago for $39.00 on sale, BTW. It looked like the same exact machine.

Sears, Senco and Makita all make a step up in power/delivery that run about $100 to $120 or so. They are all very portable, oil bath and more than able to keep up with a 16 ga gun.
They're a little large for a mf...LOL! Maybe a rat fart! ;)
These are much better machines if you're budget allows & you don't mind oil bath.

Rick Moyer
10-13-2010, 8:48 PM
Well, Harbor freight is 50 miles away, Sears is <1 mile, so the Evolv it is. Will try it out tomorrow. On sale for $69 right now (reg. $79).

Rick Moyer
10-16-2010, 7:13 PM
Almost forgot to post back. The Evolv worked great for the chair rail I put up. Honestly, I don't think it is AS noisy as my 25 gal. compressor in the garage. Does take some time to fill up, probably three minutes. I didn't time it! I actually ran it in the garage til it shut off, then carried it into the house to install the rail, shot about a dozen brads into the rail, and carried it back out and drained. It never came on so i don't know how many brads i could have shot before it re-filled. I think i'm gonna like it if/when I ever put crown in the living room.

jason lambert
10-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Well I play paintball alot so I have tanks. I would get the good system. You are not dealing with compressed air froma compressor a couple of hundred psi. Paintball tanks use 3k--4500psi. Something blows in that reg it is a bullet pointed up towards your head. Also the co2 if it drains the tank fast from a open valve it can actually burn you. I have seen this many times with rental guns that go bad. Just something to be aware of if you are home brewing.

I have seen in line paintball regs that may work. and they are all metal and probably pretty safe.

David Epperson
10-27-2010, 2:12 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1286754#poststop
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=135578&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1261161712
It's a bit sideways - cause that's how it was posted in the original thread.

Eric DeSilva
10-27-2010, 5:58 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1286754#poststop
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=135578&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1261161712
It's a bit sideways - cause that's how it was posted in the original thread.

Neat idea; hadn't seen that thread... The PVC tank at 120 psi kind of gives me some pause (I seem to recall a lot of advise against using PVC for piping compressed air), but other than that... Very cool.