PDA

View Full Version : I Had A Great Morning

Howard Rosenberg
12-12-2004, 1:43 PM
As I always do on Sunday mornings, I delivered my two boys to their Sunday school classes.

This morning was different.

I helped out in my youngest son's class.
He and his classmates filled paper sacks with socks, toiletries and non-perishable snacks and I was in charge of stapling the bags shut.

Our synagogue participates in the "Out Of The Cold" program, an outreach program for the homeless.
The bags my son's class filled are to be distributed Christmas Eve.

Every Thursday, synagogue volunteers prepare 110 hot meals and set up space for 57 people to sleep over.
Those that sleep over are provided breakfast, a bus ticket and a snack before they're sent on their way.

Kinda nice to show my youngest one of the more tangible results of our charity contributions....

Howard

Jerry Olexa
12-12-2004, 2:43 PM
Good for you. Good, worthwhile effort and good example!

Jim Becker
12-12-2004, 8:39 PM
A wonderful example about ways to fulfill our collective obligation to take care of those who are in need. In addition to activities similar to what you and your boys participated in today, the synogogues in our area, including the one that I helped found, volunteer to spell non-critical workers in local hospitals on Christmas day so they can spend more time with their families. Of course, we all need to remember that thinks don't change after the holidays pass...folks still need our thoughts, contributions and time throughout the year.

Ted Shrader
12-12-2004, 8:55 PM
Howard -

What a wonderful gesture on two fronts. Helping those less fortunate and teaching your son that, too.

Shalom,
Ted

Howard Rosenberg
12-12-2004, 9:18 PM
I've read of individuals that replace others for Christmas Eve.
Have always thought it was a great idea...
Thanks for a new brain-wave.
Howard

Mark Singer
12-12-2004, 9:23 PM
Howard,

You are teaching them well...they will appreciate people and helping....unfortunatley many kids are spoiled today...
You will have Menchun!

Dan Gill
12-13-2004, 9:09 AM
There is no better lesson or example you can give your kids. And there is no greater blessing for a parent than to see your child show spontaneous compassion, generosity, and self-sacrifice.