PDA

View Full Version : Some acrylic and corian calls

Aaron Wingert
08-26-2010, 12:29 AM
Here are three calls I recently finished up using acrylic and corian. The acrylic comes in long rods and must be turned, wet sanded and polished just like an acrylic pen blank. I have turned a couple corian calls in the past but this is the first time I've used it for my calls' bands as an accent (as opposed to metal bands).

I like the black ones better. As you can see I did the band different on the clear acrylic/corian ones. The clear acrylic on the white one got some heat in it while drilling, caused some light bubbling, and I wasn't able to save it, so I beadblasted it for a frosted look. That made it look sort of dirty for some reason, depending on how the light hits it.

Comments/critiques welcomed!

Disclaimer....Yeah, I know it isn't wood. MUCH harder to turn than wood though! :D

Aaron Wingert
08-26-2010, 12:30 AM
More pics:

John Keeton
08-26-2010, 7:06 AM
Aaron, it is the 'Turner's Forum' - not the 'WoodTurner's Forum'!!!:D:D So, you aren't required to use wood!;)

Great job on the calls - as always. I really like the previous granite look calls, and I like the black acrylic, as well. Not sure about the granite ring on the black, and I don't care for white or yellowed clear at all for some reason - I do like the clear that is not yellowed.

I think the black acrylic, with a brass band would be sharp! Or, the granite/black combo - like the clear/granite combo.

You do a great job on these, and the color thing is just a personal preference - like color is for anything else. I do like the variety, though - NEAT!

Ken Hill
08-26-2010, 9:21 AM
The contrast works well! Nice job Aaron!

Robert McGowen
08-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Very unique, Aaron. I don't know if they are duck calls or not, but they look like they would be waterproof for sure!

John Hart
08-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Sheesh...I want one. And I don't even hunt! ;):)

brian watts
08-26-2010, 7:46 PM
very nice like them all..

David E Keller
08-26-2010, 8:04 PM
Sheesh...I want one. And I don't even hunt! ;):)

Me too! Mine doesn't even need to sound right... The only sound I like to hear from a duck is sizzling... as in crispy, roasted duck.:p

John W Dixon
08-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Aaron your work just never disappoints. Beautiful job and they just look fantastic.

John