PDA

View Full Version : Workbench/Assembly table ideas.

Matt Logana
08-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Looking to build a workbench/assembly table, but not certain how to do it(design wise.) I was hoping some of you could post some pictures of your current setup. I am looking to transform a corner of the garage into it. Its a 10x24ft garage. It will be about 4 feet or so high, so I can use it to support stock for my bandsaw.

Thanks.

Ps: I already did a search, but was unable to find any of the design that I am looking to do... Plus they were some older threads, so they might not be up to date on what everyone uses..

Dave Cav
08-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Here's mine. It's also my plywood storage. The top is a 3" thick torsion box made from 1x4s and 1/4" plywood, very stiff and light. Looks like I was making cabinet doors when I took the picture.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/sunshinenight/resized_Plywoodcabinet.jpg

Mark Woodmark
08-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Four foot seems high for a work bench. I have a scissor cart I use for an assembly table. I can adjust its height to accommidate what ever I put on it. It also has a plastic top so glue and finish can more easily be cleaned off

Dave MacArthur
08-25-2010, 11:42 PM
New Yankee workshop had a nice assembly table on one show, check their site.

And The Wood Whisperer has a nice design and video of complete torsion box construction. thewoodwhisperer.com

Steve Griffin
08-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Dave that is absolutely beautiful! Wheels, storage, nice size---I'll take that any day over the tiny pieces of furniture which some call a workbench.

I have two that are very similar to that, but they have a thicker torsion box and only one storage shelf. They have a 3/4" top which has a 1/4" x 4' x 8' sheet of melamine on top which gets replaced about once a year.

-Steve

Rob Hermann
08-26-2010, 9:07 AM
I built the one from New Yankee and have really gotten a lot of good use out of it. The only modification was the height. I matched it to the table saw to use it as an outfeed table too. It's a very solid usable table.

Matt Kestenbaum
08-26-2010, 9:17 AM
Check out the Noden Adjust-a-bench...while I preferred to build a traditional joiners bench customized to my height and work needs for my primary bench, I could see using this leg system for an assembly table/outfeed table/etc. It is really well designed and rock solid.

I met the designer/owner at the WWIA show last year and have seen the legs in action where I take classes...they have a traditional bench top mounted on the leg set as the instructors bench.

www.adjustabench.com

Robert Reece
08-26-2010, 10:51 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=136956

Dave Gaul
08-26-2010, 11:04 AM
I like the idea of the one in a recent issue of ShopNotes... worth checking out..