PDA

View Full Version : Wooden DVD or CD case

Dee Gallo
08-25-2010, 5:00 PM
This is going to sound stupid, but does anyone know where I got these? I bought them last year and now I need more, but cannot find the vendor, receipt, nothing. I did a search for them on the Creek, Colorado Heirlooms, my catalogs from Laserbits, JDS, Uline... can't find it!

They are a really nice DVD or CD case, made of wood, lined with black velveteen in the CD circle held closed with a tiny earth magnet.

If anyone knows of a source for these, please let me know. I promise not to lose it again!

Thanks very much, dee

PS- this is the back, the front actually has nicer wood, no visible seams

Mike Null
08-25-2010, 5:11 PM
Dee

those are mine. Please send them back.:rolleyes:

Dee Gallo
08-25-2010, 5:14 PM
Very funny, Mike!

Rudy Ress
08-25-2010, 6:23 PM
IIRC Colorado Heirlooms used to carry them a couple of years ago. Try calling their customer service and see if they can give you a lead.

Frank Corker
08-25-2010, 7:32 PM
Talk about coincidence! I just did this one today. The only difference is that there is no lining inside or earth magnet. There is also a place to on the left (lid side) for booklet. These are beech and I bought them from Adsarna in Poland (World wide web.adsarna.pl) about 3 years ago but never had any interest shown in them. The guy there was really nice and is very forthcoming regarding making the right deal for the customer.

I did this one for a friend of ours who recently got married after having seen a really tatty DVD case they supplied, it didn't look very fitting for such an important day, it went down a real treat.

Dee Gallo
08-25-2010, 7:44 PM
Thanks, Rudy, that's where I thought I got them, but they are not on the website. I'll give them a call, thanks!

Frank, that's a nice case, with the booklet holder. Nice engraving too! I bought mine a year ago and have not had a need for them until now either - the folks selling them engraved are charging between $40-70 for the case. I don't know how many people want them, but for that price, I'D never buy one!

I have 5 of them, but could use another 5. That eliminates buying them in bulk from a big distributor.

cheers, dee

UPDATE: I found them! The Colorado website was hiding them on me... but they might be different from the ones i have, so I have emailed them to see. Thanks to everyone.

Chuck Stone
08-25-2010, 9:03 PM
if you end up with the unlined ones or without magnets, I think I have both
somewhere in the shop. You can spray adhesive in the opening and sprinkle
the flocking over it. You could laser a couple of holes for the magnets.
I think the ones I have are 3mm x 8mm or so, I can check

Dee Gallo
08-25-2010, 9:46 PM
Thanks, Chuck! I do have some flocking material, but it's bright red. Easy enough to apply.

BTW- I got a Jet mini-lathe! Now I'm reading a book about turning pens and other fun things... we shall see what happens. Your influence is strong!

cheers, dee

Real Mercier
08-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Here's one I just did the other day. I got it from Colorado Heirloom. I believe they are are under specialty Items. They have both the CD and the DVD cases with the velvetten liner and the magnets.

HTH
Real Mercier

Chuck Stone
08-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Uh oh .. another one crossing over to the dark side..

I feel a great disturbance in the force :p

Chuck Stone
08-25-2010, 10:39 PM
I think someone bought out Colorado's stock recently. They're all out.

Dee Gallo
08-26-2010, 8:54 AM
Uh oh .. another one crossing over to the dark side..

I feel a great disturbance in the force :p

Yes, I feel it too...

In case anyone else wants to know: Colorado Heirlooms got back to me and they do not stock them anymore, but will order them with a lead time of 1 1/2 weeks.

:) dee

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-26-2010, 2:04 PM
BTW- I got a Jet mini-lathe! Now I'm reading a book about turning pens and other fun things... we shall see what happens. Your influence is strong!

You have all the fun toys! Is there anything you can't do? From reading the bits & pieces of history you have done in your life, I doubt there is anything you won't succeed in! :cool:

Dee Gallo
08-26-2010, 2:38 PM
You have all the fun toys! Is there anything you can't do? From reading the bits & pieces of history you have done in your life, I doubt there is anything you won't succeed in! :cool:

It was actually a gift from my brother - or should I say a hand-me-down. He made like 2 pens and gave it up. So he gave me the lathe, a drill press, some gouges and a box full of pen kits. So naturally I have to do it! Plus, with any luck, I'll be able to put Chuck's excellent advice to use and laser some wicked cool pens! Of course my devious mind is plotting all the other things I can make with it for my laser.

So little time, so many new things to learn!

Chuck Stone
08-26-2010, 7:23 PM
You know .. if you can find some Corian in solid colors (like Vanilla) they make
a nice pen blank. I can see a vanilla blank lasered with some of your designs
and color filled.. they could look just like aged ivory mahjongg tiles.. only on
a pen!

I packed up a few kits and bushings for you to try out. What kits did he send?
and did he send the bushings?

We'll get you addicted in no time. :p

We have to rig up something for your rotary so we can get the head
down close without banging into things.. rotary attachments usually
don't like to laser tiny things like pen blanks.

Dee Gallo
08-26-2010, 7:32 PM
You know .. if you can find some Corian in solid colors (like Vanilla) they make
a nice pen blank. I can see a vanilla blank lasered with some of your designs
and color filled.. they could look just like aged ivory mahjongg tiles.. only on
a pen!

I packed up a few kits and bushings for you to try out. What kits did he send?
and did he send the bushings?

We'll get you addicted in no time. :p

We have to rig up something for your rotary so we can get the head
down close without banging into things.. rotary attachments usually
don't like to laser tiny things like pen blanks.

Okay, my head is ready to explode - so many possibilities! I didn't think about the pens being too small to work easily on the rotary. I'll have to pick your brain about fixing that problem! I have thought about doing Bakelite or ivory Corian to look like mah jong tiles, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Thanks, Chuck, you're always the BEST!

Real Mercier
08-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Actually, if she is turning on a mandrel, the mandrel fits nicely on the Epilog rotary attachment. She turn the blanks, lasers her design, color fill, and back in the lathe for finishing without taking the blanks off the mandrel. No modifications needed. It works for me.

Real Mercier

Chuck Stone
08-26-2010, 10:56 PM
Hey, Real! I didn't realize you were here.
If Dee were a little closer, she cold come to our meetings in Springfield.

I don't have that rotary, so I'm not sure how it works. I have the LaserPro
which uses a lathe type arrangement, so I just have some steel centers for
it. That does the pen blanks just fine.

Real Mercier
08-26-2010, 11:20 PM
I agree, she would have a lot to offer.

As for the rotary, it uses one drive wheel and a free wheel. You lay the madrel right on top of the wheels. the laser automatically centers on the centerline of the attachment. You need to adjust your artwork for the difference between the mandrel diameter and the blank diameter, but that is easy.

If you want to see the setup, I am a half mile away from the Woodcraft. See you on the 19th.

Real

Keith Outten
08-27-2010, 6:37 AM
You can get Corian pen blanks in just about any color in the Sawmill Creek Store. The blanks are drilled and ready to turn.

Dee Gallo
08-27-2010, 9:10 AM
You can get Corian pen blanks in just about any color in the Sawmill Creek Store. The blanks are drilled and ready to turn.

Thanks, Keith - but oh my goodness, over 50 colors to choose from?!! What a great resource for those of us without a bandsaw!

Real, thanks for explaining how the mandrel can work on my rotary - makes sense now that you say it. Is there a formula for adjusting the art from mandrel to pen?

cheers, dee

Real Mercier
08-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Dee:

Check out this post
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=111973

Post #8. I loaded an Excel sheet that does the calculation for you. Basically it is just a ratio of the diameters of the mandrel as it sits on the attachment and the pen blank diameter. Put those numbers in the sreadsheet and it will tell you how much to stretch or shrink your graphic in the Y direction. The X direction does not change.

Let me know if you need more help with that. I would be happy to help.

Real Mercier

Chuck Stone
08-27-2010, 1:28 PM
Real .. not having this equipment myself, I dont' have access to numbers.
Do you know what the resolution is for the rotary? Is it variable?
I'm trying to figure out how many steps the motor will move to turn
a 360, if that can be changed or not.. things like that. That way I can
figure out how to prepare files to get the best image. I know how to do
it on mine, but not on the Epilog.

Real Mercier
08-27-2010, 7:06 PM
I couldn't find the specs on resolution, but it it very fine. How you set it up though is to take the circumference of your object (pen, glass, etc.) that is on the wheels and set that up as your page height. That tells the rotary what one revolution is. The page width is the length of your object. When you send your file you set the resolution in the epilog print driver (That's why I say it is variable).

So, if you laser a straight dowel 1" diameter, you set your page height as 3.142" (pi x diameter) and your artwork goes from top to bottom, everything is fine. The artwork will wrap right around. Now if you hog out the center to .5" and leave 1" diameter on the wheels with no stretch, the artwork will be compressed to cover the 1.571" circumference.

I have done this on dowels to prove it to myself. I would think even with Laserpro lathe type setup you have to tell it how fast and how far to turn.

Real

Chuck Stone
08-27-2010, 8:00 PM
I do something similar, so I get the gist.. just wondering about the steps and
the best way to get finest details. I'd probably get a better handle on it if
I just looked it over.