PDA

View Full Version : Three Maple Bowls

Harvey Schneider
08-25-2010, 3:17 PM
Some new work. Just off the drying rack.
These three all came from the same slab of Maple that was given to me by a friend in the Nutmeg Woodturners. The slab was so big and heavy that I couldn't lift it onto the band saw. I had to rough the blanks out with a chain saw.
The largest of these is 14.5" x 4" the second is just under 14" x 2.75" and the 11" x 2" piece was a core taken from the largest piece. The largest has two coats of Tung Oil Finish. The other two pieces have three coats.
The thinner pieces curled a little when opened, the thicker 14" piece remained flat.
Comment and critique are welcome. I'm tough I can take it.

If Leo says that it is Elm, then I will believe that it is Elm. The wood came to me as a very large slab and I don't know wood species well enough to question what my friend said he was giving me. So accept my apologies for misleading people.

Bernie Weishapl
08-25-2010, 3:35 PM
Harvey those are beauties. I really like the simple for and finish looks great.

Steve Schlumpf
08-25-2010, 5:05 PM
Really nice bowls Harvey! You sure made the most out of that large blank! Great looking wood! Love the color variations!

Nothing to critique - I think they all look great! Thanks for sharing!

David DeCristoforo
08-25-2010, 7:12 PM
"I'm tough I can take it."

Your feet are too big. Your hair is too thin. You ears stick out too far. You could be much more attractive if only you would stand up straight. But your bowls look great so that's something.

I really like the warped one (no not because I'm warped!). It warped in a very favorable way so that it looks intentional.

Roger Chandler
08-25-2010, 7:25 PM
very unusual wood! Great grain patterns in it, and the forms are very good.

This is nice work, indeed.

John Keeton
08-25-2010, 7:37 PM
Fantastic form on all of them, and the wood is really very interesting! Doesn't even look like maple, but it is very nice.

David E Keller
08-25-2010, 7:44 PM
That's a cool looking bit of maple... Lots of color.

I like all of the pieces, but the warped piece really stands out for me. It has such a graceful curve. Thanks for posting these.

gary Zimmel
08-25-2010, 8:13 PM
Nice work on the bowls Harvey.
Another crazy that likes the warped one!

John Hart
08-25-2010, 8:32 PM
Throw me in with the warped crowd. (I'm comfortable there) Interesting color. Obvious spalting...but the overall color is really cool for maple.

Nice Group!! Your form and finish are great. :)

Gary Conklin
08-25-2010, 8:47 PM
I am digging the graceful curve of the warped piece, but they all look great!!

Harvey Schneider
08-25-2010, 8:58 PM
"Interesting color. Obvious spalting...but the overall color is really cool for maple."

This wood looked like normal Maple before treatment with Turners Choice. It darkened on being soaked in the stabilizer and the texture changed. The texture change is largely responsible for the interesting moire patterns in the grain transition regions.
Harvey in Southbury, CT

James Roberts
08-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Nice trio of pieces from that slab. Love the grain and the colors in the wood. The warp ads character to the set.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-25-2010, 11:06 PM
Very nice bowls from ELM wood Harvey, just a little spalting as the tree was probably dead or dying, as that's the look it has in the Elm wood I have turned that was in that state and looks just like that.

The tell tale of it being Elm is the small wavy grain when cut on the bias, a very good wood for a bowl and other turnings, you did well, and thanks for showing :D

Baxter Smith
08-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Very pretty bowls that show off the wood well!

Cheryl A. Prince
08-30-2010, 6:07 AM
Great bowls Harvey! I agree with Leo and think that the wood is Elm. My neighbor just took down an elm tree in his yard and gave me some to turn. It has the same pattern and color as yours and it's the heaviest darn wood I've ever turned! :eek:

William Hutchinson
08-30-2010, 6:11 AM
Those are some big bowls that have character. Nice job.

Michelle Rich
08-30-2010, 6:21 AM
Lovely wood (what a score!) and just wonderful bowls

Curt Fuller
08-30-2010, 8:55 PM
Elm or Maple, it's beautiful wood and a beautiful group of bowls!