PDA

View Full Version : Decal pen

Bobby McCarley
08-25-2010, 2:21 PM
Well, it seems that decals open up unlimited options for pens. This is my first attempt
using decals. It makes a nice looking pen, but there is a slight learning curve. The kit is an Atlas and the wood is stabilized birds eye maple. It has about 10 coats of CA for the finish, then beall buffed. I think I will be making other pens using decals.

Bobby
Louisiana

Michael James
08-25-2010, 3:21 PM
Bobby,
Nice job. I really like the darkness added with all the CA and whatever was underneath; compliments the black decal very well. That style of pen goes very well with that patriotic theme, and I imagine you could spend the next 10 yrs keeping some distributor supplied. Heck a trip to any VA ctr and they'd all be gone!.
mj

Bernie Weishapl
08-25-2010, 3:36 PM
That is a nice looking pen. I really like that wood. Decal looks good.

Andrew Arndts
08-25-2010, 3:54 PM
I use Decals a lot in making my wood arrows, from unique cresting to putting my logo on it. I just have the benefit of Gasket Lacquer after the decal is dry.
So do you make your own Decals?
What brand of water slide paper do you use?
Awesome work. Nice pen!

bob svoboda
08-25-2010, 4:02 PM
Very cool! Nice work.

Steve Schlumpf
08-25-2010, 5:10 PM
Bobby - that is one slick looking pen! Looks like you are on to something here!

Andrew - Welcome to the Creek! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

James Combs
08-25-2010, 9:26 PM
Bobby, that's a great looking pen with an excellent message. Keep em coming.

David E Keller
08-25-2010, 9:59 PM
That's pretty sharp. Nice work.

Guy Bratt
08-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Hi I'm new to this site. Where do you find decals? Thanks

John Keeton
08-26-2010, 6:57 AM
Nice work on the pen, and this decal idea has a lot of potential for things other than pens, too! If I recall, I believe it was Matt Ramun that did a walking cane with some decals awhile back.

Andrew, Guy - Welcome to the creek!

Don Leydens
08-26-2010, 7:57 AM
Very cool. This has a lot of potential for personalized pieces too. Looks perfectly professional also. Well done.
Don L.

Matt Ranum
08-26-2010, 8:36 AM
The decals you make yourself by printing them right on your computer printer using water slide decal paper. I've been using Testors brand that picked up at Hobby Lobby. Find a picture you want off the web, save it and import it into whatever program you want to use I just use my Open Office Writer program, and adjust for size. I do dry runs with regular paper then cut it out and try a placement and see how it looks. After you print the decal sheet you have to seal the ink in with a couple light coats of lacquer spray. Let it dry and your good to go. Most guys use the CA finish over the top but I have trouble mastering that so I just use a lot of coats of lacquer with my stuff with nice results.

Decals have lots of possibilities for personalizing. John was right, I did do a cane a few months back, that was the first time I tried them. Here is the link if you want to see it. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=142358

Bobby McCarley
08-26-2010, 9:06 AM
Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated.
Guy, check out Matt's comments about the source of the decals. Thats
where I got mine. There are other sources out there but the Testors
seem to work just fine.

Matt, great looking cane and I know your father is real proud of it and that you made it for him.

Bobby
Louisiana