PDA

View Full Version : Spalted black walnut bowl on Hold Fast Vacuum chuck

Roger Chandler
08-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Here is a bowl I did yesterday out of spalted black walnut. The bowl is yet going to be buffed and another coat or two of wipe on-poly applied.

It is on the Hold Fast Vacuum chuck system [6 inch chuck head] and on my Go698 lathe. The wood was punky, and it had some tear out inside even though I used freshly sharpened tools and light cuts. The finish will get better when buffed and reapplied.

John Keeton
08-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Nice bowl, and really attractive spalting in the sapwood! But, I my interest is distracted by the neat HoldFast setup!!! Roger, I wish you wouldn't post pics like this - they weaken my spirit of resistence!:D;)

Steve Schlumpf
08-25-2010, 5:17 PM
Glad to see you got your vacuum system up and running! Good looking bowl! Would like to see it once its finished!

Leo Van Der Loo
08-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Roger how much air does it need to get the maximum vacuum, do you know ??
Looks like a good setup, and yes like to see the bowl when it's finished ;-)

Roger Chandler
08-26-2010, 8:12 AM
Roger how much air does it need to get the maximum vacuum, do you know ??
Looks like a good setup, and yes like to see the bowl when it's finished ;-)

Leo,

I don't have the instruments to make an accurate test on air consumption, but a couple of points may give an idea.........

The instructions say that the air going in should be 70lbs @ 2cfm. Therefore a small pancake compressor is more than adequate. My compressor is 25 gal. and has 5 hp, so mine is way more than needed, as the compressor itself will put out 11cfm. The tank size on a compressor will determine how often the compressor has to recycle during use of the HF system.

Mine recycled once while trimming off the tenon and turning the foot on this bowl.

This was an easy to set up, easy to use configuration, and the pictures did not show the actual chuck head which was the 6 inch one with double seals, and I also got the 3 inch head, and a spindle extender in case I want to do a deep piece so as not to crowd the headstock.

I was actually pleased with the performance of the whole thing......it is nice when something works as good or better as advertised! :)

Leo Van Der Loo
08-26-2010, 1:47 PM
Leo,

I don't have the instruments to make an accurate test on air consumption, but a couple of points may give an idea.........

The instructions say that the air going in should be 70lbs @ 2cfm. Therefore a small pancake compressor is more than adequate. My compressor is 25 gal. and has 5 hp, so mine is way more than needed, as the compressor itself will put out 11cfm. The tank size on a compressor will determine how often the compressor has to recycle during use of the HF system.

Mine recycled once while trimming off the tenon and turning the foot on this bowl.

This was an easy to set up, easy to use configuration, and the pictures did not show the actual chuck head which was the 6 inch one with double seals, and I also got the 3 inch head, and a spindle extender in case I want to do a deep piece so as not to crowd the headstock.

I was actually pleased with the performance of the whole thing......it is nice when something works as good or better as advertised! :)

Roger I did see the "Minimum input" that is required, I was just questioning the need for input for the "max output" getting maximum hold and/or when the wood or seals are leaking a bit as is often the case, thanks for your reply though :)

David DeCristoforo
08-26-2010, 2:02 PM
I gotta get me one of those! I've already got a good vacuum pump that I used for veneering so I'm looking at one of these:

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=111210&Category_Code=

...and a few shop made components. Oh, yeah... nice bowl too! Makes me think popcorn!

Roger Chandler
08-26-2010, 2:17 PM
I gotta get me one of those! I've already got a good vacuum pump that I used for veneering so I'm looking at one of these:

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=111210&Category_Code=

...and a few shop made components. Oh, yeah... nice bowl too! Makes me think popcorn!

David,

I think that you will be pleased if you do decide to go this way. I was uncertain as to getting a system [venturi Vs. pump] because I had read and heard some negative things in the past. After doing much research, and talking to some knowledge-able folks, then my apprehension was done away with totally.

the construction of the hold fast chuck heads are first rate, and have replaceable seals in case one might see wear after extended use. The system is easy to set up initially, and easy to use from there on out. For a turner that already has a compressor, it is the fastest and easiest way to set up for vacuum chucking.

That being said, some prefer a pump system, which is generally more expensive to set up, unless one can find a used pump, which some are about worn out when they come on the craigs list or ebay sites. Hartville Tool had them on sale last week for $239.00, and I don't know if they still have any in stock, or when the next sale will be.

I got mine from Packard Woodworks, because I have had such good customer service from them in the past, and I wanted some extras which they carry as well.

Since you already have a pump, the rotary adapter you have shown in the link will work well for you in my opinion, and I encourage you to take a look at the Hold Fast chuck heads, as they are first rate, but you can make your own as well.

Good luck!

Roger Chandler
08-26-2010, 7:32 PM
Roger I did see the "Minimum input" that is required, I was just questioning the need for input for the "max output" getting maximum hold and/or when the wood or seals are leaking a bit as is often the case, thanks for your reply though :)

Leo,

Pardon my not understanding your question before. As I recall, in the instructions that came with the vacuum generator, they spoke of a "range" between 70 and 80 lbs. psi, and stated something to the effect that too little pressure would not give the maximum hold and too much would also give you too little hold, as it made the venturi tubes have turbulence and that would not offer the max hold either.

So I would say that even though one could go higher than 80 lbs. psi, that one should find the range as they adjust the air flow to see what the gauge is telling them. I

I did try it at 75 lbs and again at 95 lbs, and found no difference on the gauge, so that may say that the instructions are pretty much accurate.

I hope this answers the question a little better for you :) .........oh, by the way, have fun and take care also! I enjoy our talks over the forum! :D

David E Keller
08-26-2010, 8:15 PM
That's a nice setup, Roger. I like the looks of that thing... It seems to be simple enough that even I could use it.

Almost forgot, nice job on the bowl.

Roger Chandler
08-26-2010, 9:33 PM
That's a nice setup, Roger. I like the looks of that thing... It seems to be simple enough that even I could use it.

Almost forgot, nice job on the bowl.

Whats up Doc?

David, that unit could be labeled "Vacuum Chucking for Dummies" and that is why I like it and got it! :D I like to keep it simple. I was surprised at how well it works.

Oh that bowl, I just did that on Tuesday evening as a distraction from the pain while I was awaiting my oral surgery the next morning. I have been suffering for 2 weeks with a terribly abscessed tooth, and nothing touched the pain to bring relief, just had to endure.

That is why that bowl is not my best effort, but it did turn out okay, even though the wood was punky and would not take a descent cut even with freshly sharpened tools and very light cuts........even my hunter tools with razor sharp carbide cutters left tear out with a shear cut technique! :eek::(Bummer!

Leo Van Der Loo
08-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the more in-depth reply Roger :) :cool: