PDA

View Full Version : Laserable, Thermoformable Material?????????

Jay Steel
08-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know of a material that is laserable and thermoformable?
I am not making anything complex and a thin material, either 3/32"
or 1/8" would be thick enough. Delrin used to have a product Delrin FS but they no longer manufacturer it. I've been trying to form acrylic with no success. But I've been working with extruded acrylic. Would cell cast acrylic
form under heat? Has anyone thermoformed acrylic - maybe I just cant find the right setting in my oven. Anyway and help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

Mike Null
08-25-2010, 12:24 PM
PETG might work. It's laserable but won't produce the sharp images of acrylic.

Acrylic is a thermoplastic as well.

paul mott
08-25-2010, 12:34 PM
I have found the extruded acrylic much easier to thermoform than the cast stuff and it bends at a slightly lower temperature but it does not laser cut very well at all. :(

Perhaps of interest - once formed, cast acrylic will return to flat when re-heated to 170 deg.C whereas the extruded will not.

Paul.

Michael Hunter
08-25-2010, 1:30 PM
Extruded acrylic absorbs moisture from the air. If its been kicking around for a while and you thermoform it without pre-heating, you get LOTS of bubbles erupting from it!
Pre-heating involves around a day at about 100 Centigrade to drive out the moisture.

I found a manual online from Lucite - "Working with Perspex" which tells you all you need to know about everything acrylic.